To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zurg w/o Armour Designs

2 posters

Go down

Zurg w/o Armour Designs Empty Zurg w/o Armour Designs

Post by Olivus Prime Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:49 am

I was reading a few discussions on the forum about Zurg being an alien yesterday, and I decided that it would be cool to do a few sketches of what Zurg might look like under his armour. In all of my designs, I tried to incorporate a few design cues from Zurg's armour to make the aliens still vaguely recognisable as Zurg. See what you think - some are very drastic, some are very alien, and all of them look kinda strange!

I started with the design below. As soon as I imagined Zurg removing his armour, I thought of the scene in Men In Black when The Bug bursts from his Edgar disguise. I thought it would be quite cool for Zurg to do a similar thing in a fight scene, though he would retain his lovely voice, of course. As you can see, the design is partially inspired by The Bug as well.
Zurg w/o Armour Designs Scan0010

I then thought of the abundance of tentacled aliens in BLoSC, so I drew the design below. The legs were an afterthought - I designed the top half, thought it was too "Kang and Kodos", and added the lower body and legs.
Zurg w/o Armour Designs Scan0011

For this design I went more humanoid... apart from the legs (two legs are way too boring!). After drawing them, I'm a little unsure about the arms, since he has a suit already. Perhaps Zurg is a battle damaged/limbless alien who needs the suit for protection and daily evil life, and the arms are a last line of defense if his suit gets destroyed? Who knows.
Zurg w/o Armour Designs Scan0012

The final design was the stereotypical "tiny alien in a massive suit", at my dad's suggestion. You can imagine Zurg's voice crying for help as he hopelessly squirms in Buzz's hand!
Zurg w/o Armour Designs Scan0013

Any suggestions or alternate designs?
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Zurg w/o Armour Designs Empty Re: Zurg w/o Armour Designs

Post by EEZ Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Christ, that's scary. Spiders, my one weakness!

Actually, some of your designs remind me of a few official concept art pieces found in the Toy Story 2: Collector's Edition. They entailed many different ideas for Evil Emperor Zurg and I believe one of them consisted of a tiny alien lurking inside a heavily armoured body. I am not sure I can find pictures of these sketches, though...
EEZ
EEZ

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Olivus Prime Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:20 am

It's interesting that they explored alien designs for Zurg for Toy Story 2 - the abstract robot design that they used in the Buzz cartoon storyboards for Toy Story is the only Zurg concept I've seen. Looks like I need to get my hands on The Art of Toy Story 2!

Anyway, I'm glad that you like my designs EEZ, sorry for scaring you though!
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down