To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rewatch: #02: Gravitina

+2
Alexa
Steel
6 posters

Go down

Rewatch: #02: Gravitina Empty Rewatch: #02: Gravitina

Post by Steel Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:47 am

And we're back with another instalment of our BLoSC Rewatch programme! Today, we'll be watching "Gravitina" and examining a few key points and aspects. I'll try to keep things shorter and to the point since interest seems to be waning.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

TEAM LIGHTYEAR

In this episode we see the rookies slowly becoming more independent. They still look to Buzz for guidance and advice, but they start standing on their own feet. Mira and Booster successfully aid Star Command and XR's help and knowledge on machines is invaluable for Buzz to overcome Gravitina. They're starting to work more like a team and are rapidly gaining experience, no longer the shy first-timers we saw in "The Adventure Begins".

Booster's immense appetite is seen here for the first time, and his fixation on food will only get bigger. XR's "attraction" towards the female gender is also first seen here; more specifically, the non-robot, organic-exclusive attraction despite the gag on him reading Victoria's Circuits in "The Adventure Begins". Which isn't a bad thing perse and is only the first instance we get of the "sexist, robot pig" we'll all come to know and love.

And I don't know about you guys, but why the heck did Mira order a salad? Is she dieting or trying to keep her figure? It feels a little like they're trying to push the female stereotype here or something. I don't know about you, but I only stick to a practically salad-exclusive diet when I'm on a diet. The female stereotype comes off to me even stronger when she teases Buzz about Sally having a crush on him, like she's being gossipy. It might just be me, though, so feel free to argue with this opinion. She's still shown to be smart enough to compute trajectories and came up with the plan to help the Rangers escape the shell of asteroids.

And good, ol' Buzz. Here, he shows just how incompetent he is with women on a whole. He stutters, blushes, and thank god he's not the kind of guy to take the opportunity to get some when it's offered to him (like Darkmatter *cough*). Although he did seem to particularly enjoy kissing Gravitina...

INTRODUCING...

COSMO'S COSMIC DINER

And here we see Cosmo's Cosmic Diner for the first time. Judging by how often Team Lightyear and other Space Rangers have been spotted here, it's a pretty popular place that's lasted for at least two decades (judging by the flashback scene in "Tag Team"). However, Sally is new, introducing herself for the first time in this episode. And she's already vastly proficient at her job, with an impeccable memory who seems to have a crush on Buzz. Although we don't meet Cosmso in this episode, the premise for one of the finest fast food restaurants in the galaxy has already been set in motion.

STAR COMMAND

Remind me again why "Lightyear can handle [asteroids] in his hyper-sleep" and Nebula doesn't bother evacuating Star Command when he thinks Buzz and his rookies can handle it? Why, oh why, is it always Buzz who saves the day? I'm beginning to wonder whether the only Space Rangers they've got are just the background Rangers we keep seeing...

Anyway, we get a first real glimpse of Star Command in this episode outside of the pilot. Rangers don't always wear their space suits and have nifty lime-green uniforms that would pop your eyes out in real life. Rangers and LGMs alike man the main deck (which I think is actually referred to as Mission Control?), and Nebula is the overseer who barks at everyone to haul butt. Now, I personally love Nebula, but sometimes I wonder where the hell his practicality is. But then again, I remember this is supposed to be a Saturday morning cartoon... But did any of you notice how Nebula contacted the team to congratulate them and Buzz was just all, "Oh, we were just doing our job." Seemed like Nebula almost looked flustered and embarrassed for even trying to compliment them. Hmmm.

But I do love how the LGMs keep things secret to watch Nebula squirm. I'm sure they love seeing him sweat, hehe.

GRAVITINA

Ah, Gravitina. She's not your usual evil villain, or villaness, in this case. Buzz mentions in conversation that she's a tyrant and she says herself that she's a dictator, so she probably pretty much owns the entire planet she's on. Maybe she's a queen, maybe she's a dictator... her status is never made clear. But it seems that she's the type to, ah, get around often. She's got a palace and a dungeon, after all. But I don't remember ever seeing guards at her place. You knoe the planet's got life since there are sailing boats on the river/lake Gravitina's palace is situated, but it also looks like the inhabitants give Gravitina a lot of room. Maybe she's just lonely. She certainly seems to be slightly misunderstood. But we'll examine more of that in latter episodes.

She's not called the Mistress of Mass for nothing! Her head's enormous (I wonder how she even sleeps) and she can manipulate the gravitational fields of the people and objects around her. She can even crush objects, and I can't help but wonder if it's her preferred method of execution, though she doesn't seem the type to get too gory. But it's made clear that the reach of her abilities isn't that far, so for her to be able to manipulate asteroids around Star Command means that something is amplifying her powers. And who else gave Gravitina the means to accomplish such a feat than the Evil Emperor Zurg? I swear, he's got his fingers in all the pies. And where does he even get all this technology? First Torque, now Gravitina... I bet if he ever really put his mind to it he could crush the Galactic Alliance and Star Command with a simple blink. And where does he even get the money for these things...?

KEY POINTS

INNUENDO

And by Jove, there's a lot of it in this episode. Heaps and bucketloads of innuendo! I'm surprised some of these slipped under the radar and how the voice actors managed to keep a straight face throughout their lines. Like the following, which is just one example of many. Oh, do I have to mention that some of the following I'll mention might be above PG-13? Just in case people don't want to read some nasty terms, is all.

Buzz: XR, ready missile launchers!
XR: Missiles hot and juiced to jet! Haha!
Mira: What does that even mean...?
Buzz: It means we're about to kick some asteroid.

I took it dirty. I took it real dirty. And then there's that part when XR tells Booster he's on very good terms with the ship, and while he's still plugged into a port he's suddenly zapped and it almost sounds like he's using a vibrator. *shot* Methinks he and 42 were on pretty good terms even before she acquired a voice and mind of her own.

And not to mention Gravitina herself. She's the most under-dressed character on the show! She looks halfway between a super heroine (because yes, we all know most super heroines are made for eye candy) and a stripper. Her voice doesn't help, either. It's Eartha Kitt, for god's sake, but boy, does she manage to make Gravitina sound hot and bothered 24/7. Hey, at least she isn't baring her midriff, but I bet she'd be doing that too if the show wasn't PG.

And the love letter... I'm with Buzz on this one! Knowing XR's cheekiness, he probably wrote something ultra-hot and ultra-steamy, giving Gravitina the entirely wrong opinion. "You are the man with the surprises, no?" Oh god, I won't even mention what naughty ideas came to mind with that line. And did anyone else think rape when she tugs the robe off of Buzz? Also, she was totally naked underneath her robe. Totally. Nevermind the animator mistake of drawing her boots still on, unless that's how her foot is actually shaped (in the kissing scene) which I doubt since in an earlier scene it looks like a pretty normal foot. And clams are supposed to be aphrodisiacs... although Buzz is such a derp, eating them without even taking the shells off first! He probably really wanted to avoid Gravitina, hehe...

(And I'm curious, why'd he throw the "friends" line at her if he got so touchy over it in "The Plasma Monster"? Ah, well, something to examine when we watch that episode!)

And last, but not least, the cerebral flux generator. Apparently, this machine that makes Gravitina's gravitational powers stronger is closely linked to her moods. Bad mood means bad news for Star Command, good mood means nice things. So Buzz forsakes his morals for the good of Star Command, bares all (that suit is actually pretty snazzy, and "rev up her rockets"? Really, XR?) and kisses Gravitina passionately... and the entire complex, as well as the machine, explodes. Now damn, Buzz is sure shy around the dames, but if he could get Gravitina into such a state with a mere kiss, imagine how he'd be like with any other woman! Although I must admit, it seems really odd to get into an, ah, "orgasmic" state with just a kiss. I wonder if Gravitina's physiology is way more sensitive than that of the human physiology. Hoboy, she probably wears out all the men. Or maybe she hasn't ever had any physical contact before which is why it was so acute. And why she was so desperate. I don't know, but this is one of those episodes that has me laughing a lot.

OKAY, NO MORE PERVY JOKES. MOVING ON.

QUESTIONS

Oops, nearly forgot this part.

1) How do you think Zurg discovered Gravitina and decided to use her to destroy Star Command?
2) What do you think about Team Lightyear occasionally being split while one part of the team deals with something and the other with something else (or is entirely absent)?
3) What did you think of Gravitina on a whole? How do you think she came to rule a planet?
4) What do you think is the true extent of Gravitina's abilities?

Next week, we'll be watching "NOS-4-A2", so stay tuned! Can't say I didn't warn you in time now, can you? :3
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Rewatch: #02: Gravitina Empty Re: Rewatch: #02: Gravitina

Post by Alexa Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:04 pm

I didn't have much to say about this episode for some reason. And I missed a lot of the innuendo somehow, though I did mention one in my notes and noticed Gravitina's amount of clothing... But, anyway.

Notes:
Spoiler:

And now, the questions.

Spoiler:
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Spoiler:

For my response....Holy Catwoman, Batman! Gravitina sure is one mighty powerful woman, isn't she? Able to move things around with her...er, ability, like Professor Xavier! (Although he could probably do some more harm considering he is one of the world's most powerful telepaths, but that's another story...my fan story, in fact. Heh heh.) She is pretty powerful, no doubts there. After all, she sent all those asteroids for Star Command, and they had to keep the shield up for some time until the source of their movement was found.

Speaking of Star Command, I need to say this, otherwise it'll drive me crazy. I can't believe they didn't evacuate even though they figured Buzz and his team would take care of it! I mean, I know it's supposed to be a Saturday Morning Cartoon, and I know that Buzz is one of the best Rangers on the team, but come on. One would think that they'd have common sense to be careful. I mean, they can't always rely on Buzz to do everything. They've got to take care of things on their end. I mean, I like the Rangers and Nebula, don't get me wrong, but it's still annoying how they sometimes leave things in Buzz's hands....hmm... Idea IDEA! (goes to work on idea)

Whoo. Man, that felt good. On a side note, it is funny that the LGMs can keep things secret from Nebula, and from other Rangers. I think that they are very sneaky little guys, which makes me love them even more. xD

Yeah, it's kind of cool that Rangers don't always wear their space suits. It's a really good thing their uniforms look good in the cartoon, because in real life, usually when people wear something that's lime green, your eyes would explode!

Those are my thoughts for now, I've gotta go, but I'll be back later to post more later....
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by DarklingDragon Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:11 pm

This episode was quite something. It's been such a long time since I watched this episode that I forgot some of the jokes/innuendo that occurred.

XR was such a devious robot setting up poor Buzz as bait for Gravitina. I cringed every time Gravitina advanced on Buzz. It must be horrible having to go through something similar.

Questions:
1) I actually think it may have been the other way around. Gravitina may have contacted Zurg first and struck a deal with him later on. She would get Buzz in exchange for destroying Star Command for Zurg.

2) I think it's sometimes necessary to split the characters up so they get more developed into the story. The story probably wouldn't have been as interesting if Booster was crashing Buzz's date.

...or would it?

3) Gravitina is quite obsessive over Buzz. I know Zurg is obsessed, but she goes on an entire different level. No one knows for sure whether or not her powers are part of her species or unique to her. If they are unique to her, she probably used them to take over. If not, maybe she's just a high class citizen on her planet.

4)That device Gravitina used to enhance her powers adds to the mystery of how strong she really is. Maybe she can control the entire planet she lives on. Or maybe she can only control things that go as far as her mansion.
DarklingDragon
DarklingDragon

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

Back to top Go down

Post by SteffieMusings Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Spoiler:
SteffieMusings
SteffieMusings

CADET

CADET