To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rewatch: #05: Inside Job

3 posters

Go down

Rewatch: #05: Inside Job Empty Rewatch: #05: Inside Job

Post by Steel Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:46 am

I think I’m going to have to bump all the dates to Sunday at this rate! Sorry for the mix-up, folks! I’ve been having weird headaches and last night I was in no proper condition to even start typing this up even though I saw the episode. My apologies! All future dates will be bumped down a day to Sundays just so you guys don’t end up waiting for nothing.

But, on to the Rewatch!

INTRODUCING...

GARGANTIA, the GARGANTIAN MILITANTS and AMBASSADOR URSONA MAJOR

I think the first observation I’m going to have to make for this episode is that we actually get some details on how planets become members of the Galactic Alliance. It’s like planets who aren’t part of the GA have heard about the GA, but have never taken the initiative to become members. It seems to me like the known galaxy is split up into three (or four) basic segments, at least where inhabited planets are concerned: planets that are part of the GA, planets that have heard of the GA but are not part of it (and these are planets that very little is known about), and planets that have never heard of the GA. The fourth can possibly be planets that have heard of the GA but don’t care for it. Planets that fall in the first category naturally include Capital Planet, Jo-Ad, Tangea, Bathyos, Rhizome (not sure if Tradeworld is considered part of the GA or not). A planet in the second category was up until this episode Gargantia. Planets in the third are like the Planet of the Lost (I don’t remember if it had a name), maybe Binipinardia, but I’ll have to rewatch “Downloaded” to make sure. The fourth could be planets like Raenok, and definitely Planet Z too, lol, but they can overlap with the second category too.

The details aren’t many. When Madame President asks the Rangers what they know about Gargantia, Buzz replies, “A planet shrouded in mystery, located at the edge of the galaxy; it remains cut off from the Alliance, the inhabitants have never been seen.” Well, it’s more details than we know for most planets. They’re on the edge of the galaxy! I like a little proper positioning in my star charts, thank you very much. Anyway...

Gargantia, although only described and not seen in this episode, appears to have quite a Spartan regime. They don’t give in to luxuries or comforts, according to Ambassador Major, and it’s hard to be served and tended to properly there. Perhaps their economy is dwindling? Or their ancestors passed on this appreciation for harshness and survival instead of capitalistic ease? Who knows. The impression I get is that maybe, seeing as Gargantia has a substantial sort of technology and the Ambassador seemed to specifically know that the GA has things they do not, that they probably learned of the GA’s existence through radio waves. And perhaps that might have influenced their “new thoughts” and their desire to become part of the GA; to get access to these wonders that the G promises.

Of course, that doesn’t sit well with some folks back home. Monumentus is disgusted by this treaty signing, feeling it’s like Gargantia is signing off its autonomy. He also states that he wishes to “preserve the sanctity of [their] heritage.” While terrorists do say similar things, playing on patriotic emotions, I think this sheds an interesting light on how Gargantia was like before Ambassador Major took charge, and I wouldn’t call the Gargantian Militants actual terrorists like Buzz does. They’re a small group of Gargantians (not very bright except for their leader) who think they’re doing the right thing in preserving their history. They’re not going about it the right way, but their intentions (despite the episode clearly making them seem like the villains) are nobler than they’re made out to be. To people who aren’t fond of progress and change, assuming a new lifestyle like what the GA offers is wrong—and might very well lead to them forgetting their original lifestyle as time passes. I also think that Gargantia must have been pretty military-based before the Ambassador, but that’s just the feeling I get from Monumentus and the others.

Also, not to sound like I’m being nit-picky, but all the Militants have dark purple skin. Only Ambassador Major has light purple skin. I also seem to remember (but I might be wrong) that in the episode “At Large on a Small Planet” that features Gargantia, all the “nobles” are light-skinned whereas all the “terrorists” are dark-skinned. The cynic in me doesn’t like the implications of this...

Anyway, trivia of the week! All Gargantians have “big-sounding” names to make up for their small sizes. Such a pun if I ever saw one. Also, the Ambassador’s full name is Ursona Major, which reminds me of the “Ursa Major” constellation. It translates to the “Great Bear” and is the most prominent northern constellation, containing the seven stars that form the Big Dipper. I find this has a double meaning, both as the Ambassador being the representative of Gargantia and also him saying that he’s considered “a giant” on Gargantia. He probably didn’t mean height-wise... he seems more rotund than most Gargantians, but he’s adorkable too, and likes the fine life.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

BOOSTER

I gotta admit, “Inside Job” and “The Plasma Monster” are painful episodes for me to watch, simply because of how immature and jealous Booster acts in them. I don’t want to dismiss this as bad writing, so I’ll try to come up with a way this can be in character for him. And it is. To a degree, it’s in character. Given his naivety and simple-minded ways, him acting immature at times seems like a normal thing for him to do. However, I always cringe and just how his immaturity is portrayed. Making faces at Flash and sticking his tongue out at him when he isn’t looking, okay. I can try to stomach that. But when he thinks he’s caught Flash and even freaking Commander Nebula is there, Booster openly sticks his tongue out at Flash mockingly. Whoa. I don’t know about you guys, but I always figured that Booster was big on Star Command rules and stuff. Showing immaturity and disrespect in front of a commanding officer like that (and technically Buzz too, but I suppose their relationship is more friend-based than following official regulations) would have definitely warranted some sort of punishment.*

Sure, at one point he’s right. Flash is a bad guy. And Booster’s intentions are good, despite his jealousy at Buzz paying more attention to Flash getting in the way at first. Like Mira told Buzz (she seems to be turning out to be his confidante more often than not), Booster is scared he’s being replaced by Flash. Booster’s such a big fanboy and seeing someone else who’s caught Buzz’s eye makes him act in ways he normally wouldn’t. Like I mentioned before, all this may very well be in character. But I’m not fond of just how bad it’s made out to be. It’s not fair to poor Booster when he tries so hard.

We’ll delve into this jealousy and immaturity aspect more in “The Plasma Monster”, but for now, all I can say is that it turns out okay for Booster in the end. He saves the Ambassador and gets to give him a tour too. He probably would have still wound up in trouble in the end, but he got to do the right thing, and I think that’s great for Booster. It’s a step in the right direction—after taking four steps back.

OBSERVATIONS

STAR COMMAND

* I’m beginning to see a trend with Star Command not being as militaristic as it’s made out to be. Star Command always appeared to be a cross between a pan-galactic police force as well as the GA’s military and means of protection from outsides threats. And according to EEZ, the police is paramilitary, and they’re pretty strict and non-lax too. So Space Rangers fight crime as well as dabble in politics every now and then, all the while being put under taxing and rigorous training as well as missions. Given this, Star Command ought to be far stricter than it is portrayed. And in reality, it probably is. But in a kid’s show, you can’t bring much of that realism in. It’s almost a shame—at least to me it is. I would have loved to see more of how Star Command is really like. (Come to think of it, they were closer to that portrayal in “The Adventure Begins” than they were throughout the rest of the series. Huh.)

KEY THEME

Maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but I think the key theme in this episode was trust. Buzz wrongly misplaced his trust in Flash, who turned out to be the Gargantian Militants in disguise. Booster’s trust became shaky when he made mistake after mistake. The Gargantians too, placed their trust in the GA. As of this point we don’t know whether that trust has been misplaced yet, but Booster’s quick thinking in the end paid off and reinstated Buzz’s trust in Booster.

I would say trust those closest to you before the newbie who looks like they’re made of awesome win first.

FUN STUFF

This episode shows us senators we don’t get to see often. I spotted two elephant-like senators, one pink, one blue and multi-limbed. One also looked oriental despite looking like a bird. I love discovering new races!

QUESTIONS

1. What did you think of Booster’s behaviour in this episode?
2. What’s your opinion on the Gargantians?
3. How do you think the Galactic Alliance gets new members?
4. What was your favourite part in this episode?
5. What was your least favourite part?
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Rewatch: #05: Inside Job Empty Re: Rewatch: #05: Inside Job

Post by Alexa Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:33 am

I didn't much to say on this episode that I didn't answer in the questions, so I'll just put those. XD

It made me feel awkward the entire time. I actually had to skip a scene because I didn't want to see how badly Booster embarrassed himself in it. D<

I really love the ambassador, though I'd probably get annoyed with his personality in real life. I have to say that they must be pretty resilient to having heavy things on them if the Ambassador managed to survive have Booster land completely on him and having Buzz AND Booster land on him (Though, it was only a direct cover when it was just Booster).

And it's interesting how the militants voice patterns are... The leader seems to be the only one with a large vocabulary, though, which is strange.

I honestly thought I had an answer... Planets know about the Galactic Alliance and choose whether or not to join. However, I then realized that no one had ever seen Gargantia's citizens, so how did the Gargantian's know about the GA in the first place? Possibly through intercepting conversations, given that the militants were able to call back home to report to their leader...

The beginning. The VERY beginning. As in, the intro. This was the first (in our rewatch) where Toy Story Buzz doesn't land normally (he hits the screen) and it has different scenes in the intro, one of which being the Wirewolf, which leads me to believe that this was actually a later episode than we put it as.

5. What was your least favourite part?
Anything with Booster before he apologizes to "Flash." Really. I hate it when people act like that, it gets on my nerves...
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Steel wrote:I think I’m going to have to bump all the dates to Sunday at this rate! Sorry for the mix-up, folks! I’ve been having weird headaches and last night I was in no proper condition to even start typing this up even though I saw the episode. My apologies! All future dates will be bumped down a day to Sundays just so you guys don’t end up waiting for nothing.

Hey, no worries. Sundays sound good to me! Just take care of yourself, okay? Smile

Steel wrote:
I think the first observation I’m going to have to make for this episode is that we actually get some details on how planets become members of the Galactic Alliance. It’s like planets who aren’t part of the GA have heard about the GA, but have never taken the initiative to become members. It seems to me like the known galaxy is split up into three (or four) basic segments, at least where inhabited planets are concerned: planets that are part of the GA, planets that have heard of the GA but are not part of it (and these are planets that very little is known about), and planets that have never heard of the GA. The fourth can possibly be planets that have heard of the GA but don’t care for it. Planets that fall in the first category naturally include Capital Planet, Jo-Ad, Tangea, Bathyos, Rhizome (not sure if Tradeworld is considered part of the GA or not). A planet in the second category was up until this episode Gargantia. Planets in the third are like the Planet of the Lost (I don’t remember if it had a name), maybe Binipinardia, but I’ll have to rewatch “Downloaded” to make sure. The fourth could be planets like Raenok, and definitely Planet Z too, lol, but they can overlap with the second category too.

The details aren’t many. When Madame President asks the Rangers what they know about Gargantia, Buzz replies, “A planet shrouded in mystery, located at the edge of the galaxy; it remains cut off from the Alliance, the inhabitants have never been seen.” Well, it’s more details than we know for most planets. They’re on the edge of the galaxy! I like a little proper positioning in my star charts, thank you very much. Anyway...

Gargantia, although only described and not seen in this episode, appears to have quite a Spartan regime. They don’t give in to luxuries or comforts, according to Ambassador Major, and it’s hard to be served and tended to properly there. Perhaps their economy is dwindling? Or their ancestors passed on this appreciation for harshness and survival instead of capitalistic ease? Who knows. The impression I get is that maybe, seeing as Gargantia has a substantial sort of technology and the Ambassador seemed to specifically know that the GA has things they do not, that they probably learned of the GA’s existence through radio waves. And perhaps that might have influenced their “new thoughts” and their desire to become part of the GA; to get access to these wonders that the G promises.

Of course, that doesn’t sit well with some folks back home. Monumentus is disgusted by this treaty signing, feeling it’s like Gargantia is signing off its autonomy. He also states that he wishes to “preserve the sanctity of [their] heritage.” While terrorists do say similar things, playing on patriotic emotions, I think this sheds an interesting light on how Gargantia was like before Ambassador Major took charge, and I wouldn’t call the Gargantian Militants actual terrorists like Buzz does. They’re a small group of Gargantians (not very bright except for their leader) who think they’re doing the right thing in preserving their history. They’re not going about it the right way, but their intentions (despite the episode clearly making them seem like the villains) are nobler than they’re made out to be. To people who aren’t fond of progress and change, assuming a new lifestyle like what the GA offers is wrong—and might very well lead to them forgetting their original lifestyle as time passes. I also think that Gargantia must have been pretty military-based before the Ambassador, but that’s just the feeling I get from Monumentus and the others.

Also, not to sound like I’m being nit-picky, but all the Militants have dark purple skin. Only Ambassador Major has light purple skin. I also seem to remember (but I might be wrong) that in the episode “At Large on a Small Planet” that features Gargantia, all the “nobles” are light-skinned whereas all the “terrorists” are dark-skinned. The cynic in me doesn’t like the implications of this...

Anyway, trivia of the week! All Gargantians have “big-sounding” names to make up for their small sizes. Such a pun if I ever saw one. Also, the Ambassador’s full name is Ursona Major, which reminds me of the “Ursa Major” constellation. It translates to the “Great Bear” and is the most prominent northern constellation, containing the seven stars that form the Big Dipper. I find this has a double meaning, both as the Ambassador being the representative of Gargantia and also him saying that he’s considered “a giant” on Gargantia. He probably didn’t mean height-wise... he seems more rotund than most Gargantians, but he’s adorkable too, and likes the fine life.

I pretty much agree with all of that! I don't have a whole lot to say other than I'm sure that there are other planets shrouded in mystery or hidden from the GA's view that have either heard of the GA but don't wish to be part of it, or have never heard of it, period. Heck, the planet I made up for one of my OCs is kind of like that-surrounded in mystery and don't have any connection to the GA, yet the King and Queen are aware of the GA, and Star Command.

I like the Ambassador, too. He's funny. I would probably be a bit miffed at him in real life (I'm wary on politicians), but I like him. He's got a quick wit to him and he cares about his planet, for the most part. I also love the name-double meaning for the win! Very Happy

Steel wrote:
OBSERVATIONS

STAR COMMAND

* I’m beginning to see a trend with Star Command not being as militaristic as it’s made out to be. Star Command always appeared to be a cross between a pan-galactic police force as well as the GA’s military and means of protection from outsides threats. And according to EEZ, the police is paramilitary, and they’re pretty strict and non-lax too. So Space Rangers fight crime as well as dabble in politics every now and then, all the while being put under taxing and rigorous training as well as missions. Given this, Star Command ought to be far stricter than it is portrayed. And in reality, it probably is. But in a kid’s show, you can’t bring much of that realism in. It’s almost a shame—at least to me it is. I would have loved to see more of how Star Command is really like. (Come to think of it, they were closer to that portrayal in “The Adventure Begins” than they were throughout the rest of the series. Huh.)

I think if it were played out in real life, SC would be WAY more stricter than they are in the show. I mean, my brother has a friend who's going to West Point now, and according to my brother, the poor guy is going through rigorous training. He even thought he wouldn't make it at one point! But he stuck with it, and he's still there. So, yeah, I think SC training would be like West Point training-rigorous but totally worth the pain and sacrifices if you stick with it. Perhaps SC is more paramilitary than actual military; I'm starting to agree with that now. I mean they do things a military would do, but they also do things like crossing duty and what not.

Steel wrote:
FUN STUFF

This episode shows us senators we don’t get to see often. I spotted two elephant-like senators, one pink, one blue and multi-limbed. One also looked oriental despite looking like a bird. I love discovering new races!

That was awesome. I loved the oriental bird the best! Very Happy

QUESTIONS

5. What was your least favourite part?[/color][/quote]

1. I think it was somewhat understandable. I mean, Booster is like a big kid-naive and good-hearted, but he can be prone to having jealousy issues every now and then. I don't like how he acted at times, either, but it was semi-part of his character.
2. They kind of reminded me of Russians in a way-I guess because of their vernacular, and I think because Russia has had a history of trying to break away from dictatorship, just like the Ambassador is trying to break away from the old ways of Gargantia. Like I said, I like the Ambassador. The others...I have yet to form an opinion on them.
3. I guess the GA tries to negotiate with other planets they feel need protection or they feel could benefit them in some way. The planets who want to join can, and the others...well, that's a different story. It's kind of like how countries can negotiate when they want to work out some sort of deals. Like how France and the US function, for example. They benefit each other through giving each other things. I think that's how the GA does it. It's not exactly on topic here, but it works, methinks.
4. Hmm...I liked the opening intro, too. It's funny to see Buzz SPLAT against the wall. A bit painful, but funny. I like slapstick. Razz
5. Booster acting a bit...childish in front of his elders with Flash-a bit disrespectful, if you ask me!

Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down