To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting the Pieces Together

3 posters

Go down

Putting the Pieces Together Empty Putting the Pieces Together

Post by Olivus Prime Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:27 pm

It goes without saying that the Buzz Lightyear sequences in Toy Story fiction (e.g. Attack on Zurg, the Toy Story 3 video game) don't particularly fit together well. After a bit of thinking, I've arranged it into my own "timeline" - see what you think, and feel free to make modifications and suggestions.

1. Buzz joins the Academy, and after training for several years, graduates with flying colours (Tag Team). He meets lifelong friends Warp Darkmatter and Ty Parsec.

2. Buzz gets a little edgy in his work, leading to his suspension from service (Lone Wolf). He soon returns to Star Command, and continues to work alone.

During these years, Zurg utilises the Zurg Bots seen in Toy Story fiction. However, his R&D department is working on a slimmer, more athletic drone better suited for pursuit and elimination of Space Rangers (the Zurg Bots are only good for brute strength, and can teleport but cannot fly).

3. The events seen in the Attack on Zurg video game occur. Buzz utilises the Space Ranger Utility Belt to penetrate Zurg's outpost and defeat all of the Zurg Bots, but Zurg manages to teleport to safety.

In between this event and The Adventure Begins, Zurg finishes development on his new Hornet drones, and begins to deploy them in place of the Zurg Bots. Their success in securing several more planets (e.g. the mining planet in Shiv Katall) causes him to invest in further models, which he deploys to capture Tangea and Jo-Ad (though Buzz's interference rendered these attempts unsuccessful).

Basically, the rest of the series occurs afterwards, beginning with The Adventure Begins. The Buzz Lightyear of Star Command video game occurs during the series, with all levels excluding the Planet Z one occuring prior to Revenge of the Monsters due to Ty Parsecs continuing condition as the Wirewolf. The fight on Planet Z could be considered the true finale to the series, as one was never shown in the cartoon.

Finally, the Toy Story 3 video game. Here, a fleet of battlecruisers is seen preparing for invasion, though Zurg is curiously absent. We can either assume that a), the fleet is set upon retrieving Zurg, or b), the events occur in Andy's imagination, and therefore are useless to the plot of the series.

Basically, all that text was a long winded way of saying that Buzz's adventures in Toy Story fiction come before and after the series.
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Putting the Pieces Together Empty Re: Putting the Pieces Together

Post by Steel Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I took the liberty of moving this thread to general discussion, as it's not really a fanfic and it seems to belong there better.

Otherwise, this is a good theory! I myself care not for those strange droids in the Toy Story 2 opening game sequence, but you gotta admit compared to how easily breakable the Hornets are (as far as Space Rangers are concerned -- on their own they are freakin' efficient!) they're in much better condition.

I always wondered myself when exactly Buzz did some of these missions. I'd imagine he was partnered with Ty for a while before being partnered with Warp, seeing as Buzz saved Ty so many times. But he's also saved Rocket a few times. Maybe he's just got a "saving people thing"... well, that was a given. He always did! xD
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Olivus Prime Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for moving the thread, by the way - I had no idea whether to put it in Fanfiction or General Discussion!

I always imagined that, once Buzz defeated Zurg in the video game, a stereotypical self-destruct sequence began and one of Buzz's comrades would be waiting at the end of the level (Ty, Warp, Rocket... take your pick). This would certainly make it tie in with the cartoon, though there's nothing to support it onscreen.

I do like the Zurg bots, though - there's a retrofuturistic feel to them that I like. Besides, they've just released them as action figures, so Zurg will finally have his robot army! They seem a lot more dangerous and menacing in the Toy Story 3 game than they do in Toy Story 2, as they strafe quite a lot and survive having their head or arm blown off!
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 am

I also always figured that there was a time in Space Ranger history when you didn't need partners because the dangers weren't all that great back then. There's no mention of either Warp or Ty in "Lone Wolf", after all, and not just because of Buzz temporarily resigning. I think that back then, Zurg maybe wasn't as big a threat as he was by "The Adventure Begins" and the rest of the series. Although Buzz seems to have always wanted to join to take Zurg down? I'll have to get back to you on that detail.

Olivus Prime wrote:I always imagined that, once Buzz defeated Zurg in the video game, a stereotypical self-destruct sequence began and one of Buzz's comrades would be waiting at the end of the level (Ty, Warp, Rocket... take your pick). This would certainly make it tie in with the cartoon, though there's nothing to support it onscreen.
Yeah, I think that either Buzz was partnered with Ty or Warp during the events of the Toy Story 2 video game sequence, but was separated from him at some point to fight Zurg. Although why, oh why, would Zurg's ultimate power supply be a battery is beyond me... it's like the mainframe computer thing in "Downloaded". What were these writers thinking?! I wish the writers had put more effort into tying the two together. But then again, given that interview, that seems highly unlikely...

Olivus Prime wrote:I do like the Zurg bots, though - there's a retrofuturistic feel to them that I like. Besides, they've just released them as action figures, so Zurg will finally have his robot army! They seem a lot more dangerous and menacing in the Toy Story 3 game than they do in Toy Story 2, as they strafe quite a lot and survive having their head or arm blown off!
That dangerous, huh? It makes you wonder why Zurg had the Hornets and Beetles if they're so useless... You know, I always wish the BLoSC!Zurg had the badassery TS!Zurg has, what with his fortress and army of robots and everything. But I wish TS!Zurg had the looks and mannerisms of BLoSC!Zurg.

Oh, well... there was a Toy Story comic that had Booster in it, though! So, in part, the films and show can tie in together! Even though Booster was so out-of-character...
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EEZ Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm

I wish I could fit these two together, but I cannot. They are unlike things in many ways, and that is disheartening.

The only thing I can fashion is that the TS-verse (at least for the Buzz Lightyear action figure) is really a spin-off of the BLoSC cartoon; although the former receives much more recognition than the origins. At best I can rationalize that two different departments (Disney and Pixar) had two separate ideas and thus... we have the confusion that are TS and BLoSC canons.

Oh, those wily department studios.
EEZ
EEZ

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum