To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rewatch: #06: NOS-4-A2

4 posters

Go down

Rewatch: #06: NOS-4-A2 Empty Rewatch: #06: NOS-4-A2

Post by Steel Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:26 am

Trying to get back into the groove with these rewatch sessions. I’ll also be making them shorter since I’m way behind and not many people read them anyway. So, on to “NOS-4-A2”!

INTRODUCING...

NOS-4-A2

Fun fact: Tad Stones himself came up with the character of NOS-4-A2. Obviously NOS-4-A2 is based off of Nosferatu, the original vampire, but strangely enough he himself does not seem to be the first of his kind if he can be so easily identified by Buzz as an “energy vampire”.

As for habits, powers, and weaknesses, NOS-4-A2 possesses the following (as seen in this episode only):

• He absorbs various energies like plasma.
  • He can absorb energy even when he’s in his coffin, even from short distances (this includes disintegrating weapons, apparently).
  • He seems to only be able to absorb energy from a distance. If he is to mind control a robot, he actually has to bite said robot.
  • But apparently, his abilities cannot extend outside of a security shield, nor can be absorb the energy of said security shield if he is trapped in it.
  • He can float a few feet above the ground, but uses energy bat-like wings for heights.
  • He can mimic voices, such as Commander Nebula’s.
  • He spouts electricity when he wants to be dramatic (a waste of his precious energy, if you ask me).
  • He has a blue energy blast to hit enemies with that he fires from his mouth. He fires the exact same blasts from his hands too. They seem to bend machines to his will, as well as stun biological foes.
  • He can control machines and robots—pretty much anything with an internal battery—through biting them. (Perhaps his hand blast activating a bunch of wires came from a device he had previously bitten. Biting XR wouldn’t make sense if he had other ways to mind-control. Or maybe biting is what turns machines into his minions permanently, and energy blasts are for temporary control. XR does appear somewhat “mutated”, given his set of fangs and snake-like tongue.)
  • A blast from a Ranger’s wrist laser is actually painful to him. Whodathunkit.
  • Oh, so now he’s Magneto. He raises his hands and the floor breaks apart trying to crush Buzz. (The logical explanation is that seeing as NOS is in control of Star Command, pretty much everything in the system obeys his will. I guess.)

I can’t help but be cynical and wonder why, if NOS was in control of Star Command, he didn’t shut off all the oxygen. Machines and robots don’t need to breathe. He would have settled things quite easily if he’d just gone with that route. But then again, it's Disney, so oh well. xD

FLIGHT CONTROL/CARGO FREIGHTERS/AUTO-PILOTS

Flight Control here doesn’t seem to be part of Star Command, although I think in a latter episode, it’s elaborated on more clearly. I won’t touch upon it much now, but the gist of them is that they basically grant ships like cargo freighters access to the Gamma Quadrant. Which, I’d assume, is Galactic Alliance space. Pretty much like border guards.

Cargo freighters are Exactly What it Says on the Tin, to throw a trope at y’all. They’re the trucks of space travel, pretty much, only more classy. They, along with auto-pilot robots, appear again in the episode “42”. My guess is that these cargo ships have no security or personnel on them at all besides the auto-pilots. They’re robots, possibly VIs, who remain rooted before their consoles but have full control of cargo ships. I’d imagine given how much they might have to travel to ship their wares from one end of the galaxy to the other that it’s very convenient to leave such things up to robots and not living beings. Of course, that makes space robbery all the more dangerous since I doubt cargo ships have any defence against Hornets and guys like Warp.

CONTINUITY ISSUES

• I’m sad to say that seeing as this is the second episode ever produced, it shows in the dialogue exchanged by the characters. The others call Mira “princess”, and she has to specify that she’d rather they didn’t call her that. This is also seen in “Lost in Time”, the first episode produced in the series, although given what was going on, Mira didn’t have the chance to point it out.
  • I hate how this is only the second episode ever produced, but they’ve obviously been on a lot of missions together. Why else would Nebula request an evaluation and how else would there be information Buzz could actually view? They should have planned this better, IMHO.
  • In this episode, Zurg seems to have a line running down the back of his head, but you only see it for a couple of seconds. This isn’t present in other episodes. Planet Z also has several very Shiv Katall-like ships flying around. Sometimes, the animators like sticking very unsuitable-for-Planet-Z space ships flying around. This can be an eye-popper in some episodes. (Warp also mentions Zurg normally having a “strict failure means death” policy, but it’s never mentioned again in other episodes.)
  • I get the feeling that the Ranger Mission Log was something they only ran with in the early episodes and “The Adventure Begins”. I’m surprised XR even has a mission log.
  • ...How did Booster not realise something was up when XR started laughing and his eyes glowed red? I mean, really. Booster’s not that dumb, and if they wanted to show the audience something was wrong, they could have had Booster walk out first.
  • If Buzz and Mira got in, why didn’t any of the other Rangers follow? Did they really just linger outside of Star Command when it was painstakingly obvious that the red alert had been fake?

LORE AND OBSERVATIONS

• The Space Rangers’ wrist lasers can disintegrate objects instantaneously now...? I guess this can be explained by saying they have different settings like the Star Trek phasers. “Set from stun... to kill.” I think Buzz actually said that once in Toy Story, but I always took it as a spoof. Maybe it’s not that far from the mark!
  • How strong is teryllium carbonic alloy? It seems to be pretty durable, but XR keeps getting blown up. I suppose his limbs are always pretty intact when he does blow up regardless, so it’s only his joints that are weak points. Also, we know they must have similar basic metals to us if Warp calls XR a “tin can”.
  • Plasma cannons are outlawed by the Galactic Alliance.
  • The first time we see Beetle models as well as Hornets. (I’m not sure if the red robots have ever been canonically referred to as Beetles, so I’ll have to look into that when we encounter them again.)
  • Zurg’s machines seem less durable against concentrated firepower. (XR’s guns can blast holes through Beetles.)
  • XR loves calling Nebula “Pop” and “Daddio”. He also calls him “Pater” in this episode.
  • There is a “Robo-Freighter Company”, which confirms my previous theory that only robots are found on cargo freighters. And like all ships, the auto-pilots possess black boxes, which you can read more about here if you’re unfamiliar with the term.
  • Nebula seems to despise robots of all kinds. This extends to machines and computers on a whole. Pretty funny for a futuristic space age if you ask me. xD
  • Performance evaluations can be conducted if necessary to determine if a Space Ranger is up to snuff. This can be viewed via the mission recorders. I’d assume it’s a camera hidden on their space suits somewhere for other teams, but XR seems to be in charge of that for Team Lightyear. (He really ought to know better than to mock people when a camera’s recording. Everything goes on the service record.)
  • If Zurg can easily hire freighters to carry his stuff around, no wonder crime is rampant in the galaxy... and hey, who doesn’t like water, hmm? xD
  • Damn, Star Cruisers actually have pretty big cargo holds!
  • I also love those one-person bikes the Rangers have. Is it just for space travel or can it be used planetside too, I wonder...
  • Cool, Star Command has nifty security shields in the science bay. As well as the communications network... or at least a part of it, this wasn’t elaborated much on.
  • XR sleeps in the science bay? I wonder where all the other Rangers sleep... and he dreams too? Well, I’ll be.
  • Prior to the events of “NOS-4-A2”, XR saved the Althurian ambassador from a shape-shifting assassin. By the sounds of it, he was to sign some sort of treaty.
  • When there’s a red alert, there’re white strips on the walls with red lights interspersed along the hallway that blare out and shine brightly.
  • Nebula likes playing cards with the LGMs, hahaha.
  • Zurg himself made NOS-4-A2, probably, seeing as he “slaved away for hours in his evil lab” to “give [NOS] life”.
  • Nebula’s peg leg is amazing. It’s a freaking blaster! It fires purple blasts in quick succession like a machine gun. Also, Nebula’s good at hotwiring stuff. Sweeeeet!
  • Cool security doors. Very durable. I wonder if they’re made out of teryllium or something even stronger. XR tried to punch through it and it only make an indention of his fist. But NOS-4-A2 streaked clean though it without any problems whatsoever, and even pushed Buzz through one with how fast NOS was going. Maybe not that strong, then... xD
  • Zurg seems to hold Buzz in high esteem. According to NOS:
    “Zurg led me to believe you were a foe to be reckoned with. He overestimates you.”
    And Buzz says:
    “Leave it to Zurg to create a villain even more arrogant than himself!”
  • I love XR’s compartment storing so much stuff. Also, that must’ve been some phoney mind-control if XR could snap out of it with Booster showing him his work order... aww, XR must really love Nebula if that’s all it took to snap him out of it. And hooray for suction fingers that can drain all of NOS’s energy. It was rather easy to defeat him, come to think of it...
  • Okay, I find it funny that Star Command can call Zurg and vice-versa. (In “A Zoo Out There”, they even have his number on speed dial, LOL!)

I have nothing else to add, but I like the bullet formatting. I think I will follow it for future sessions.

QUESTIONS

1. What did you think of NOS-4-A2?
2. What of everyone else’s behaviour? XR, Booster, etc.?
3. Do you think, as far as continuity goes, that this episode could hold its own?
4. What was your favourite part in this episode?
5. What was your least favourite part?
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Rewatch: #06: NOS-4-A2 Empty Re: Rewatch: #06: NOS-4-A2

Post by Mod Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Steel wrote:

CONTINUITY ISSUES

• ...How did Booster not realise something was up when XR started laughing and his eyes glowed red? I mean, really. Booster’s not that dumb, and if they wanted to show the audience something was wrong, they could have had Booster walk out first.
  • If Buzz and Mira got in, why didn’t any of the other Rangers follow? Did they really just linger outside of Star Command when it was painstakingly obvious that the red alert had been fake?

Hmm...maybe Booster assumed XR was okay?....either that or he just thought XR was being silly...I have no clue. It's a plothole that has to be filled!

Hmm...maybe the Rangers waited to see if anything happened? Maybe they just were on the lookout just in case?...I have no idea. xP

Steel wrote:
LORE AND OBSERVATIONS

[list]
[*] I also love those one-person bikes the Rangers have. Is it just for space travel or can it be used planetside too, I wonder...
[*] XR sleeps in the science bay? I wonder where all the other Rangers sleep... and he dreams too? Well, I’ll be.
[*] Nebula likes playing cards with the LGMs, hahaha.
[*] Nebula’s peg leg is amazing. It’s a freaking blaster! It fires purple blasts in quick succession like a machine gun. Also, Nebula’s good at hotwiring stuff. Sweeeeet!
[*] Cool security doors. Very durable. I wonder if they’re made out of teryllium or something even stronger. XR tried to punch through it and it only make an indention of his fist. But NOS-4-A2 streaked clean though it without any problems whatsoever, and even pushed Buzz through one with how fast NOS was going. Maybe not that strong, then... xD

I love the space bikes, too! It can be more convenient than flying with a jet pack, especially if you run out of gas/fuel source for your jet pack! ^^

I always thought that the Rangers had cabins aboard Star Command. It'd make sense because it'd save the hassle of traveling back and forth between Capital Planet and Star Command, and in case there was an emergency, the Rangers would get dressed and be ready to go, just like firemen.

That's really cool; I wish the series had shown more of the Rangers relaxing like that, not up to missions or anything, just enjoying themselves and taking it easy. Not that I don't like it when they're on missions, but it'd just be nice to see them relaxing every now and then, is all. ^^

Nebula's peg leg is awesome! Shows how resilient Nebula is, and how he won't go down even with a peg leg! ^^

Yeah, I think that's something Star Command needs to work on. Their doors need to be looked at. xP

Steel wrote:
QUESTIONS

3. Do you think, as far as continuity goes, that this episode could hold its own?

1. I think NOS-4-A2 is...well, he is a formidable opponent, I'll say that! It makes you wonder how the heck Star Command didn't see it coming if Buzz was able to figure out he's an energy vampire...think they have classic horror stories/gothic horror stories in the BLoSC universe?

2. I think that everyone's behavior was more or less in character in this episode, but I thought Nebula was a bit too harsh. I mean, I understand why that is, but I can't help but wonder how prone Star Command is to seeing shades of grey in things...but I won't go into a philosophical lecture about that, so I'll just say that everyone seemed in character for this eppy.

3. I think so, because with the whole Mira wanting to be called Mira thing, I figure that maybe with "Lost in Time", she didn't have the time to correct herself and/or she tried to keep herself in check by not getting frustrated about her teammates calling her "Princess". I think with this eppy, she just decided she had enough and called her team out on it. So I think it could still work, continuity wise.

4. I loved the ending, when XR defeated NOS-4-A2, because that to me, represents what Hayao Miyazaki presents in his films; love is powerful enough to break a spell, and XR proved just that! It also served as kind of a "Shut Up, Hannibal" trope here; he didn't want to be controlled by NOS-4-A2, and he showed him and everyone else that he is indeed a Space Ranger. ^^

5. Eh, well, when Nebula called out XR to be a traitor when XR was under the energy vampire's control. Once again, the whole shades of grey thing. Once again, I can understand why that is, with XL and Warp, but you'd think Nebula would be a bit more calm about that...I wonder...what if that is exactly what Zurg wanted to have happened? I mean, what if he created NOS-4-A2 and hired Warp to destroy Star Command from within and crumble their spirit that way? If you think about it, that kind of plan is one of the more devious and evil ways to harm a person; gain their trust and then break it....there may be more to this fruitcake than we know!
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexa Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Steel wrote:
I can’t help but be cynical and wonder why, if NOS was in control of Star Command, he didn’t shut off all the oxygen. Machines and robots don’t need to breathe. He would have settled things quite easily if he’d just gone with that route. But then again, it's Disney, so oh well. xD

Little known realization about robots and machines... They may not need air to breathe, but they need air to circulate through their cooling fans to keep from overheating. Listen closely to your own computer and you should be able to hear its cooling fan, and then think about how that wouldn't work in space to know what I mean. Also, an example of this being a real concern in fiction: http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff900/fv00863.htm

It's worth pointing out that this doesn't seem to be the rule for BLoSC seeing how there are plenty of times when robots are out in the open in space, this episode included. But, still, I figured I might as well bring the point up.

Steel wrote:
QUESTIONS

1. This episode is one of the first I remember watching. Robots were my favorite characters back then, so for the sake of NOS-4-A2 being a robot with a nice accent alone made him one of my favorite characters off the bat (my other favorite being XR, of course).

2. Oh, I'm only going to answer part of this question because of a new headcanon I came up with a few weeks ago... Meaning, I'm going to talk about XR's behaviour specifically. I think he might have not been under NOS-4-A2's complete control... The way he acted was nothing like robots that were completely controlled by NOS-4-A2 (see: the Slayer). It seemed more like he was just playing around or at the very least was allowed to keep his personality and quirks and was only under partial control. But, the way NOS-4-A2 seemed surprised that XR could break out of his control so easily, and the fact that XR DID break out of his control so easily, makes me think that XR was just pretending most of his "monster's little helper" attitude and the rest of it was because he was being controlled to the point where he did have to restrain his friends (note: he never actually hurt any of them, only tried to stop them from going anywhere). So, when XR heard Nebula say to blow him up and Booster pulled out his work order, XR remembered that the fun and games were over and shut off (maybe tried to delete? See: Dirty Work) the files that was giving NOS-4-A2 partial control and then went and did his heroics. *shrugs* As I said, it's merely headcanon, so feel free to not agree with me.

3. I don't understand the question here, so I'll skip it...

4. Favorite part, huh...? I have too many. The Autopilot scenes, XR's sheer love and admiration for Commander Nebula, etc....

5. I can't really come up with a least favorite part right now... This is really my favorite episode of the entire series, so it' hard coming up with a least favorite part of this one episode...

And now, under spoiler tags, I'm going to give you the notes I wrote down while watching the episode. Keep in mind, though, I wrote these notes when this Rewatch was first announced before the current rewatch schedule, so they are from a good few months ago...

Spoiler:
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 pm

"If Buzz and Mira got in, why didn’t any of the other Rangers follow? Did they really just linger outside of Star Command when it was painstakingly obvious that the red alert had been fake?"

Perhaps Buzz gave them orders to wait outside so that he could assess the situation and determine if it required their assistance?

"Nebula seems to despise robots of all kinds. This extends to machines and computers on a whole. Pretty funny for a futuristic space age if you ask me. xD"

Hmm... just a theory, but maybe when XL was created, Nebula got pretty attached to him, and then was very disappointed when he turned on them. After that, he stopped trusting robots, and didn't want to get attached to XR in case the same thing happened. Just a theory, as I said, 'cause it's been awhile since I saw "XL".

"Warp also mentions Zurg normally having a “strict failure means death” policy, but it’s never mentioned again in other episodes."

Maybe at some point Zurg just told Warp that to make him work harder and stop failing so much?

"1. What did you think of NOS-4-A2?
5. What was your least favourite part?"

1: Do you mean the episode or the character? I love the character, and the episode's pretty good too.

2: I think they were all fine. As Fox pointed out, Booster probably didn't pay much attention to XR's weirdness because XR acts weird all the time. I don't think it was out of character.

3: I don't think it's any worse than the others. It could use improvement, but on the whole it's okay.

4: Probably when XR reverts to his good self. And Nebula's peg leg cannon was pretty awesome too.

5: Hmm... probably how Nebula acted a bit harsh to XR. That seemed a bit off to me.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down