To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone?

3 posters

Go down

Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone? Empty Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone?

Post by Steel Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 am

Hello, guys! Glad to see you're making good use of the RP section here!

I was just curious, seeing as you've been roleplaying a LOT since the last time I was here, whether you'd like any sub-categories for this section I could make? I could make areas for specific roleplay universes, or something, as well as OOC areas for character claims, etc. Anything to keep things organised! Very Happy

(Also, it'd help a newbie like me to plunge in without getting all confused as to what's going on. xD)

Last edited by Steel on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone? Empty Re: Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone?

Post by Alexa Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Maybe you could make a subcategory for the completed/locked RPs? That way the main area of focus is open for the active RPs, but everything is is in a easy-to-find place whenever it's needed for reference?

Now, when you say areas for "specific roleplay universes", what exactly do you mean by that? Does Fox and my "Energy Potential Series" (that's what we're calling Crying Wolf, Into the Dark, and whichever one(s) we might have later) count as a "roleplay universe" or do you mean something more like "canon character only RPs" (which seem to be non-existent here XD) vs. "OCs allowed RPs" (and such lovely OCs they are)?

I doubt you would mean something like "open to all" vs "x and y only", since that would become exceedingly tedious if more variety of people start to have private RPs. *shrugs*

I'm hesitant to ask for a sub-category for "crack" RPs (like Fox and my "Pup-pet" thing) since that could very easily head straight to disaster if others take it to mean that they can be wild and crazy there. If you did consider this, I'd say to continue to enforce a word limit for posts and the other usual RP rules, but possibly make the word limit smaller than for the serious RPs? I dunno, man, I'm very ignorant to how forums are run. XD
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone? Empty Re: Sub-categories for the Roleplay forum, anyone?

Post by Steel Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:40 am

Good idea! I took the liberty of making a category for the completed roleplays I spotted for now. That way, at least, we can keep everything that's active in the open to keep people from getting too confused.

ab103 wrote:Now, when you say areas for "specific roleplay universes", what exactly do you mean by that? Does Fox and my "Energy Potential Series" (that's what we're calling Crying Wolf, Into the Dark, and whichever one(s) we might have later) count as a "roleplay universe" or do you mean something more like "canon character only RPs" (which seem to be non-existent here XD) vs. "OCs allowed RPs" (and such lovely OCs they are)?
I was thinking the former, as well as a combination of the latter. Or... maybe something like this:

ROLEPLAY
    Canon-Only Roleplays
      Complete
    OC-Only Roleplays
      Complete
    Canon/OC Roleplays
      Complete
Or something like this:

ROLEPLAY
    Canon-Only Roleplays
      (name of a series)
    OC-Only Roleplays
      (name of a series)
        Complete
      (name of a series)
    Canon/OC Roleplays
      Energy Potential
        Complete
With the first example, you would have to state the series in the thread's name or its description.

With the second example, any finished threads can be locked and moved to their own "Completed" section but still stay in their own series section, so to speak.

I would suggest the latter example myself, if there are several series already. It would make archiving series-specific threads easier. "Open to All" and "Private" RPs would still count, especially if they is a certain sort of continuity going around. There could also be a category for the one-time deal threads that were never intended to expand beyond the one thread.

At this point, I don't think a crack section is necessary--at least I hope not! If it's set in your series' universe, despite being crack and not counting, it would go into your series' category.

I also think a category that's for OOC discussion threads such as questions, suggestions and rollcalls might be a good idea too. What do you guys think?

ETA: POST 8000, WOOOOO! 8D
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexa Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Steel wrote:
ROLEPLAY
    Canon-Only Roleplays
      (name of a series)
    OC-Only Roleplays
      (name of a series)
        Complete
      (name of a series)
    Canon/OC Roleplays
      Energy Potential
        Complete
With the first example, you would have to state the series in the thread's name or its description.

With the second example, any finished threads can be locked and moved to their own "Completed" section but still stay in their own series section, so to speak.

So, for this example, Active RPs for a series would go into the main series thread and then completed ones would be moved to a "completed" subcategory? (or, sub-subcategory, as the case may be...) Or am I reading that wrong?

Also, I would assume that this would mean that we have to request a series folder from you should we want/need one, correct? I actually prefer the idea where we need to request a series folder.

Steel wrote:There could also be a category for the one-time deal threads that were never intended to expand beyond the one thread.

Well, not necessarily. If I'm reading your suggestion right, then it would be, for example, Roleplay as the section title > Canon/OC RPs main category > Series subcat > Completed series sub-subcat.

In this case, "one-time deal threads" could go into the Canon/OC RPs main-cat. In the event that they DO become series, then we could request a Series folder and move them into that.

Onto the point of requesting Series folders, though... Bear with me as I'm having trouble figuring out how to say this... If we already have one Series folder with a specific RP partner or group of partners, I'd should think that we SHOULDN'T be allowed a second Series folder with the(se) same partner(s). For example, Fox and I can only have Energy Potential, since we're RP partners and do all of our RPs for this same universe (more or less) with the same group of characters (again, more or less). I suppose we could have an exception if the RP partner(s) were suddenly doing an RP with completely different characters, such as if Fox and I started doing an Canon-only RP of some sort. But, this is why I like the idea that we have to request a Series folder first, so we know it's Admin-approved to have that many.

Steel wrote:At this point, I don't think a crack section is necessary--at least I hope not! If it's set in your series' universe, despite being crack and not counting, it would go into your series' category.

Right. I can work with that.

Steel wrote:I also think a category that's for OOC discussion threads such as questions, suggestions and rollcalls might be a good idea too. What do you guys think?

Oh, definitely. It would certainly help make navigation easier, in any case.
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 am

I waited a bit to see if anyone other than ab103 would reply so this wouldn't end up being a dialogue between the two of us, but I guess not. xD

ab103 wrote:So, for this example, Active RPs for a series would go into the main series thread and then completed ones would be moved to a "completed" subcategory? (or, sub-subcategory, as the case may be...) Or am I reading that wrong?

Also, I would assume that this would mean that we have to request a series folder from you should we want/need one, correct? I actually prefer the idea where we need to request a series folder.
Yep, you're reading that right. I think it'd make things far more organised. And yeah, for new categories/folders, I would say PM me so I can see them for sure, along with all the necessary details. Smile I wish FoxStorm could add new categories, but as a mod she can only edit posts and threads, not forums themselves. That's up to an admin, unfortunately. So PMs it is! (However, she can at least move threads, so when a thread is finished, she can easily move it to the Completed section. :3)

And I'd go ahead and change the categories right now, but I don't know what's OC- or canon-exclusive just by looking at the titles and description of these RPs. xD So just let me know what's what, and I'll start making the new categories!

ab103 wrote:Well, not necessarily. If I'm reading your suggestion right, then it would be, for example, Roleplay as the section title > Canon/OC RPs main category > Series subcat > Completed series sub-subcat.

In this case, "one-time deal threads" could go into the Canon/OC RPs main-cat. In the event that they DO become series, then we could request a Series folder and move them into that.
I was initially thinking that OOC threads could go into the main category, but this suggestion is better! For OOC threads, perhaps the thread itself can start with the word OOC, so people know it's an OOC thread, instead of making a category for OOC threads? Like me renaming this thread to "OOC: Sub-categories, anyone?" What do you think?

ab103 wrote:Onto the point of requesting Series folders, though... Bear with me as I'm having trouble figuring out how to say this... If we already have one Series folder with a specific RP partner or group of partners, I'd should think that we SHOULDN'T be allowed a second Series folder with the(se) same partner(s). For example, Fox and I can only have Energy Potential, since we're RP partners and do all of our RPs for this same universe (more or less) with the same group of characters (again, more or less). I suppose we could have an exception if the RP partner(s) were suddenly doing an RP with completely different characters, such as if Fox and I started doing an Canon-only RP of some sort. But, this is why I like the idea that we have to request a Series folder first, so we know it's Admin-approved to have that many.
Oh, you see, when I suggested Series folders, I didn't think that the series would be exclusive to only, say, two RPers. Say for example that you and FoxStorm have threads between the two of you set in your universe. Say now that you invited a third person to come in to play another character every now and again. You and FoxStorm could still have private threads set in the same universe, but also have threads with this third person. The Series wouldn't have to be exclusive to just you two. You could invite other people to RP in it, but what they have to take into account is the history you two have come up with for that universe in order to do so.

(Wait, re-reading your question I think I took it into the completely wrong direction! Let me try to go back to it.)

To answer your original question (and to sum up my thought process) the Series folder would only contain threads pertaining to that Series. If you want to make more threads for that series, you wouldn't need to request another Series folder. You would have to use the one you already have, as long as the threads you make are "part" of that Series. I don't know about restricting people to stick to one RP universe in one category, but it makes sense that they should stick to that RP universe and not move on to something new until they complete it first, maybe... I hope I understood this right.

But... if you and FoxStorm want to switch to something else that's not part of your Energy Series and in another category (say, canon-exclusive, for example) you'd have to post your new stuff in the new category. If it's not part of your Energy Series, then it doesn't belong in the Energy Series folder!

I hope this makes sense! I feel like I rambled towards the end here... Razz

ETA: Also moved this to the "Questions and Suggestions" area! Hopefully, we'll get more feedback there!
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 am

Steel wrote:

Yep, you're reading that right. I think it'd make things far more organised. And yeah, for new categories/folders, I would say PM me so I can see them for sure, along with all the necessary details. Smile I wish FoxStorm could add new categories, but as a mod she can only edit posts and threads, not forums themselves. That's up to an admin, unfortunately. So PMs it is! (However, she can at least move threads, so when a thread is finished, she can easily move it to the Completed section. :3)

And I'd go ahead and change the categories right now, but I don't know what's OC- or canon-exclusive just by looking at the titles and description of these RPs. xD So just let me know what's what, and I'll start making the new categories!

I can move the threads, but I would need someone to let me know through a PM. It's much easier for me to pick up on new topics that way. I feel bad I didn't say anything earlier, but I wanted to know more about what you all wanted before I said anything. xP

ab103 wrote:Well, not necessarily. If I'm reading your suggestion right, then it would be, for example, Roleplay as the section title > Canon/OC RPs main category > Series subcat > Completed series sub-subcat.

Steel wrote:
I was initially thinking that OOC threads could go into the main category, but this suggestion is better! For OOC threads, perhaps the thread itself can start with the word OOC, so people know it's an OOC thread, instead of making a category for OOC threads? Like me renaming this thread to "OOC: Sub-categories, anyone?" What do you think?

I like Alexa's suggestion, too. It makes more sense. And I like the idea of the OOC threads, and the name of sub-categories. It all sounds good to me.

Steel wrote:
Oh, you see, when I suggested Series folders, I didn't think that the series would be exclusive to only, say, two RPers. Say for example that you and FoxStorm have threads between the two of you set in your universe. Say now that you invited a third person to come in to play another character every now and again. You and FoxStorm could still have private threads set in the same universe, but also have threads with this third person. The Series wouldn't have to be exclusive to just you two. You could invite other people to RP in it, but what they have to take into account is the history you two have come up with for that universe in order to do so.

(Wait, re-reading your question I think I took it into the completely wrong direction! Let me try to go back to it.)

To answer your original question (and to sum up my thought process) the Series folder would only contain threads pertaining to that Series. If you want to make more threads for that series, you wouldn't need to request another Series folder. You would have to use the one you already have, as long as the threads you make are "part" of that Series. I don't know about restricting people to stick to one RP universe in one category, but it makes sense that they should stick to that RP universe and not move on to something new until they complete it first, maybe... I hope I understood this right.

But... if you and FoxStorm want to switch to something else that's not part of your Energy Series and in another category (say, canon-exclusive, for example) you'd have to post your new stuff in the new category. If it's not part of your Energy Series, then it doesn't belong in the Energy Series folder!

I hope this makes sense! I feel like I rambled towards the end here... Razz

ETA: Also moved this to the "Questions and Suggestions" area! Hopefully, we'll get more feedback there!

I'm pretty much okay with all that, but whatever you all want is okay with me, too. I know I should say more, but again, whatever's easier for everyone, I'm open to it! ^^
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 am

Okay, I made the generalised forums. Only problem was, when I was moving some threads around, I couldn't rightly tell where each one was supposed to go... some had OCs n the focus, but mentions of canon characters, so I guess I put those in the mixed sub-forum. If anything is in the wrong place, let me or Fox Storm know, so one of us can move stuff around to the proper category.

As for actual 'verses, let me know what subforums you want (and where) so I can organise those too! xD
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down