To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Check out this review!

+4
levy120
Ranger-Nova
Mod
Rook
8 posters

Go down

Check out this review! Empty Check out this review!

Post by Rook Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:49 pm

http://cartoon-watching.blogspot.com/2011/10/buzz-lightyear-of-star-command-wirewolf.html

This guy did a review of the Wirewolf episode in the spirit of October and Halloween, and I thought it was hilariously awesome. What do you guys think?
Rook
Rook

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

http://www.inklingworks.com

Back to top Go down

Check out this review! Empty Re: Check out this review!

Post by Mod Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Personally, I thought it was cool! There were parts of it I didn't agree with, but I liked his opinion on it. Very well thought out! ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Pretty good for the most part - the only thing I didn't really like was the way he talked about Mira. He seemed to have something against her, and was generally criticizing what she did (or maybe I'm just overreacting because I like Mira Wink ). I don't think she qualifies as a "token chick" just because she's the only woman on the team.

But everything else was well-written. I wonder if he ever plans to write about any of the other BLoSC episodes?
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by levy120 Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:23 am

Really guys, he put sarcasm on all the characters equally. Wher ehe puns over Ty, he puns over Mira, he puns over "the annoying robot sidekick" (who is my fav on this basis) and Buzz and Nos as well - stop looking at it so biased Wink

Personally, I thought this review was effin hilarious and at some point in the middle I had to take a breather from it because I burst out laughing so hard. xD
It's truths, it's just the plain truths - and he or she carries that over with style. I hope to see more reviews from this person about the show =)
levy120
levy120

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:30 am

Yep, I know, I'm overreacting. I think mainly because I didn't like the "token chick" comment. Just seemed a little sexist to me. But the review was hilarious. It put me in the mood for Wirewolf, which I rewatched and thoroughly enjoyed.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by levy120 Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:21 am

Well, technically speaking Mira IS the "token chick". The cartoon is classically aimed at boys (though really, it seems to have a Periphery Demographic issue there) with lots of action and your classic boy-heroes.
Afaik Space Battles and Lasershooting isn't exactly what you assoicate to the interest of a young girl (and yes, while I do support the point that Animation is not just for kids - they are the classic target group).
...and somewhere of course the girls should get a role model as well Wink
levy120
levy120

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I can see now I was way overreacting. I haven't been feeling well lately, so I was in a bad mood that day. Felling much better now. Smile

I can see Mira starting out in concept as a token chick - it's just that I think the way she was done made her more than that. Sorta like Samantha Carter on Stargate.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer that Mira started out as a token chick, more or less, but she is made to represent the female aspect of the show, appealing to girls. As much as I would have liked to see more of the female cast get some screen time (excluding Ozma), beggars can't be choosers, I'm afraid. Oh well. (shrugs)

But yeah, the review brought up some good points! ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I think if Ozma had gotten more screen time, they would have been able to develop her better, and refine her character a bit. Because we don't see much of her, it's easy for her to come across as nasty and heartless, when I don't think that's the case with her at all. So she could really have used more development. But now I'm getting off-topic...
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Ah, point taken. I didn't think about that. I see what you're saying; if she got more screen time, I think she would have been received differently.

But yeah, getting back on-topic, I should go ahead and say this since we're on the subject.

I kind of like how the reviewer talked about the interaction with Ty and Buzz, because in a way, the episode was like a deconstruction of Buzz's well-known reputation as being one of the best Space Rangers; other Rangers feel a bit put down or jealous of Buzz's legendary status, and if one is not careful, things can go badly out of hand. Not to mention, the episode also points out that Rangers CAN and WILL be hurt in some way, shape or form.

I won't go into any more much detail about it, (since I kinda wanna save it for the actual review), but that's what I wanted to say about this review, and about the eppy itself! ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Yeah, I think one of the interesting things is it shows that Buzz isn't perfect - in fact his near perfectness is one of his greatest flaws. He gets a bit full of himself, and obsessed with "saving" everyone. I like how the review pointed out that Buzz indirectly caused Ty's Wirewolf problem, because Ty seemed to be handling Nos fine on his own until Buzz stepped in, causing Ty to get bitten. Although we're probably over-analyzing it, I'd say this was one of the deeper, more well-thought out episodes.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, that's true. I gotta give credit to the reviewer; he/she knows their stuff.

Buzz indirectly caused Ty's problem with the satellite. I mean, granted he tried to save Ty, but you'd think he'd try it a different way. What's not to say that the same green moonlight, which harmed and drained NOS-4-A2 of energy, could have also harmed Ty?

And even though Ty doesn't fully remember the Wirewolf ordeals, I'd bet my bottom dollar that this kind of ordeal is something akin to PTSD; he suffered through something horrific, and it was inadvertently caused by Buzz, whom I am sure feels bad about it. If you look at the way Buzz interacts with Ty, you can see he puts his hand on Ty's shoulder a lot; I think that means that Buzz counts Ty as another friend from the Academy (excluding Rocket, who's more like Buzz's rival), and he doesn't want to lose his friend the same way he did Warp.

But in a way, he did lose Ty because now, Ty has to live with the knowledge that he became something he didn't want to become, and even though Ty managed to regain himself as the Wirewolf, Buzz, I think would feel a bit guilty in causing Ty's problem in the first place. I like Buzz and all, but I think he should have been a bit more wiser with having to stop NOS-4-A2 from sucking up the power from Ty's suit.

And that's a good point you brought up; being perfect is a flaw and doing so CAN be one's downfall. And there's nothing wrong with over-analyzing it; over-analyzing is fun! And this eppy is one, if not the most favorite one for me, since it introduces Ty and all. xD

Last edited by Fox Storm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 am

Maybe one of the reasons Buzz jumped into the situation without even thinking (aside from pointing out that it would be "rescue 51") is because he's so obsessed with being the hero, since that's what he's always been, that it doesn't even occur to him that he might make a mistake. He just assumes he's doing the right thing.

Luckily by RotM he seems to wised up a bit, and treats Ty better. But poor Ty must still have a lot of emotional issues from everything that happened.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Ah, that's true. Buzz does seem to have a complex where he has to save someone all the time since it's part of who he is. Maybe another reason why he wants to save people is because again, he already lost one person (Warp); he doesn't want to have it happen again.

Yeah, I can imagine that even though Ty seems to have fared better after everything he's been through, I think that he'd still have nightmares about his ordeals once in a while. I mean, in my character analysis of Ty, I mentioned about how he seems to be an emotional dude. I can imagine that although he and Buzz have their friendship repaired, he still feels strong emotions about his ordeal, even if he doesn't remember all of it, being the Wirewolf and being part of NOS-4-A2's plan in RotM.
That kind of scarring on Ty's being can last forever since it was pretty painful to Ty.

Not to mention that Ty's sarcastic demeanor in this episode, we can see is genuine, but it's also used to hide the negativity he's been carrying with him-anger, frustration, sadness, turmoil, etc.

Last edited by Fox Storm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 am

True; I'm sure Warp's "death" had a huge impact on Buzz.

I think one of the worst parts for Ty is probably that there's still the slim possibility that he could go Wirewolf again - all he needs is to come in contact with a Canis Lunis moon rock. I think he'd always be a bit on edge until he got some closure and knew for certain he'd never turn into the Wirewolf again.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Amen to all of that!

Poor Ty...Sad...at least his friendship with Buzz is patched up...heck, I'd bet that his friendship with Buzz was what made him stop the Wirewolf from sucking up Buzz's power from his suit. ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 am

I would kill for a spinoff where it's just Ty Parsec and Booster fighting crime. These two are awesome together.
Aw dang, that's starting to give me an idea....

(I'm going to assume that Ty is popular and has a sizable fangirl population, because if he isn't, then the Internet has failed me)
I sure hope the Internet hasn't failed him. XD

That was actually a really awesome review. I'm gonna have to look around and see if he's reviewed anything else I like.
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 am

that was a great review. I loved the captions under the pictures, and how light the humor was mixed in with how critical it was. The animation WAS good, and unfortunately Ty doesn't have a huge fangirl population. He tends to be over shadowed by the other characters because he doesn't show up very often, even when he does it's epic.

And to Dr. Hyppos, i wish they did get a spin off. that would be fantastic
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleu_Ace Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:40 am

Best. Review. Ever.
Bleu_Ace
Bleu_Ace

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mephew-J Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 am

Maybe I´m the only one that noticed that Ranger Mira Nova got bitten by NOS-4-A2 in episode 6... So, why didn´t she became a wirewolf like Ranger Parsec?
Mephew-J
Mephew-J

CADET

CADET

http://mephew-j.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:02 am

Two reasons: One, she says that NOS didn't get through her suit, unlike in Ty's case where NOS's fangs penetrated his skin, and two: There was no radiation from Canis Lunis, which is also necessary for the transformation.

Last edited by Ranger-Nova on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:11 am

Mephew-J wrote:Maybe I´m the only one that noticed that Ranger Mira Nova got bitten by NOS-4-A2 in episode 6... So, why didn´t she became a wirewolf like Ranger Parsec?

It wasn't Mira herself that got bitten by NOS--it was her suit, which can be seen if you look closely, and how NOS was in control of her suit afterward.

Ty, on the other hand, was bitten directly; NOS tore off a part of his suit right before it sunk its fangs in, and it made a comment about finding blood disgusting.
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum