To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 3 - Original Characters

4 posters

Go down

SEASON - Season 3 - Original Characters Empty Season 3 - Original Characters

Post by Olivus Prime Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 am

We have already decided upon a set of rules regarding the use of OCs in the Season 3 project:

• That their use be reasonably minimal (two episodes is probably the limit, as it was with minor characters in the show) and not hugely substantial to the overall plot of the series. Essentially, as noted, they need to be used like the minor characters of the show, e.g. Klerm, Vartkes, the Chlorms etc.
  • That they must be, preferably, completely original, without previous appearances in fanfics.
  • That fully canon characters must remain the primary focus, without OCs overshadowing them in the episodes that they appear.

Feel free to comment upon this list, but otherwise, start discussing your OC ideas here!

I've put forward my idea for a semi-OC on the original Season 3 discussion - Anti-Buzz. There you can find a link to a profile I wrote for him, but when it comes to the episodes, my plan is to have him in two episodes - his introductory episode, in which he battles Buzz and starts to ponder his meaning in life, and his final episode, where he becomes fully independent and leaves Zurg's forces.
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

SEASON - Season 3 - Original Characters Empty Re: Season 3 - Original Characters

Post by Ranger-Nova Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:34 am

You've outlined all our points very nicely Olivus - better than I did in the other thread. XD

If anyone has any OC ideas, share them here~.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

SEASON - Season 3 - Original Characters Empty Re: Season 3 - Original Characters

Post by thetalkingtrampoline Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:48 am

Well, I wondered if my OC Nida can join in the third season?
That would be great. Smile
thetalkingtrampoline
thetalkingtrampoline

CADET

CADET

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 am

Unfortunately, we'd prefer not to have any already existing OCs, as Olivus mentioned above, because many already existing OCs have backstories that mesh with the backstories of the canon characters, and it might get conflicting and confusing.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by thetalkingtrampoline Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:03 am

Ahw, that's unfortunate indeed... ): But it's okay, I understand. (:
Maybe I can come up with some OC's that haven't been used before?
thetalkingtrampoline
thetalkingtrampoline

CADET

CADET

Back to top Go down

Post by Stomper1232 Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 am

I was thinking about using my newest OC David Voltage to join as a "recurring character" for this (I just created him about a few days earlier and i haven't put him in any rps or fanfics yet). Hes probably going to be one of the much more serious characters in this.
Stomper1232
Stomper1232

CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN

http://stomper1232.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Well, to be honest, I think it would be better if people didn't just come up with original characters for the sake of having original characters. The show itself and the canon characters are going to be our primary focus, and though I have nothing against OCs (in fact it's pretty much impossible to have a fic without at least some OCs, and they can be awesome if well-written), I think we should be thinking of PLOTS instead, and if there is a role that can't be filled by a canon character, then we create an OC to fill that role. If we create the OC first, then it'll feel like they've been shoehorned into the plot.

And, as we've said before, the OCs should be kept at a minimum, and they should never overshadow the canon characters. The show has a vast array of fascinating characters, and THEY are the reason we write fanfiction in the first place.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you have a plot idea that requires an OC, then by all means share your OC idea with us, and we can discuss it, but if all you have is an idea for a character, and no plot for them, then I don't think these fics are the right place for them.

Just my two cents. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to spoil anyone's fun - I just want to be practical here. As always, the subject is open for discussion. Smile
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Olivus Prime Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Ranger, you hit the nail on the head. Though OCs are good for adding variety to the show, we need to make sure they appear in only one or two episodes, if that. They also need to have minimum effect on the main plot, so it's best to come up with a brand new character and think of a one-episode story for them.
We could have favourite OCs cameo, but again, having just three OCs cameo in the season would pretty much be overdoing it.

EDIT: That said, David Voltage sounds like someone who could participate in an idea I had for several of the obscurer Space Rangers hunting down/protecting a plot device at the beginning of an episode. Trampoline, do you have info on Nida? If we look into each character's backstory, we can think about putting them in.
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down