To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 3 Fanfics

+5
Mod
thetalkingtrampoline
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Asenath
Olivus Prime
9 posters

Go down

SEASON - Season 3 Fanfics Empty Season 3 Fanfics

Post by Olivus Prime Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Me and Ranger-Nova were talking today about fanfics, and I raised the idea of a fan-made "Season 3" that could be created through them. This would involve a certain number of "episodes" being set for the season, with a episodes being assigned to each active member in the project. The writing in the actual show was quite relaxed, so the same could apply here - if some of us wanted to start our own plotlines, or follow or close ones that were present in the show, we could do so in our own quota of episodes. Obviously, if any big plot twists/events were considered (e.g. the whole Buzz and Zurg relationship, the mythology behind The Protector and Natron), it would be best for all of us to discuss it in a topic.

It seemed like a cool, and potentially quite fun, idea. Any thoughts?
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

SEASON - Season 3 Fanfics Empty Re: Season 3 Fanfics

Post by Asenath Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:17 pm

YESSSSS!!!!

I might be interested in donating an 'episode'... how long are you thinking for each one?
This sounds like an awesome idea! I'd love to see everyone's writing, and maybe some people whose work we haven't seen yet would be motivated enough by the project to write.
Asenath
Asenath

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Ooh! This sounds like it would be awesome! Count me in!
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by thetalkingtrampoline Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Count me in too! I would love to write a BLoSC "episode"! Very Happy
thetalkingtrampoline
thetalkingtrampoline

CADET

CADET

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:55 pm

I, too, would like to join in this, please. Smile
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Olivus Prime Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Wow! Good to see such positive reactions, looks like it's a go!

Asenath wrote:how long are you thinking for each one?

That's a tricky one, really - I haven't written any fanfics before so I don't know how long one would have to be to essentially contain a 21 minute episode. Any of you guys have any thoughts on the length?

And if we are starting this, how many episodes do you reckon we should do? Two or three per person?

Also, a list of unresolved stuff from the series that I thought I'd make:

• Origins of most of the characters, especially Buzz, Zurg and Commander Nebula
  • Warp's potential return to Star Command
  • Romac's fate
  • Reappearance by 42?
  • Evilyear's final fate/return to the alternate universe
  • The Shape Stealer's fate
  • The Clone Rangers
  • Defeat of the Gargantian Militants?
  • Myth behind Natron/The Protector
  • XL's placement at Star Command
  • Myth behind Krnozians/Beletors
  • Various rookies going through Star Command (Fopp, Petra, Plasma Boy, etc...)
  • Mira's addiction to Fusion Ghosting
  • Buzz seeing Myka again?

Any others you can think of or would want to explore?
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexa Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Olivus Prime wrote:
  • The Shape Stealer's fate
  • Myth behind Natron/The Protector

I didn't want to say anything about Season 3 fanfics because I didn't know what to say for the most part, but...

Fox and I are actually working on a collab featuring the Protector (not so much Natron, admittedly), and I have someone planning to write about what happened to the Shape Stealer.

That said, for the Season 3 fanfics, if someone wants to make their own take, you don't need our permission to go right ahead. I just want to make sure that none of us feel like we're stealing each others' ideas about this, y'know? :S
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Ooh, now this would be an interesting idea! Kind of like the Season 3 RP we were hoping to do which never took off. I think I really like this idea! I'd love to pitch in and get back into writing again.

Asenath wrote:I might be interested in donating an 'episode'... how long are you thinking for each one?
Olivus Prime wrote:That's a tricky one, really - I haven't written any fanfics before so I don't know how long one would have to be to essentially contain a 21 minute episode. Any of you guys have any thoughts on the length?
Maybe as long as some of the transcripts? My subtitle files (still a WIP personal project of mine) are around 25 pages or 4,000 words. Mind you, this length only concerns dialogue, meaning no prose whatsoever (as well as no additional script, e.g., explaining actions). The proper length of a fanfic-ified episode, therefore, would be subject to personal taste based on the descriptions used. But I suppose anything above 25 pages / 4,000 words would work! I hope this doesn't sound too daunting.

As for more ideas/plots, this post from the RP thread (as well as pg. 3 I think) has some suggestions that can be added/expanded to Olivus' list. So far, I don't have many plotty ideas to suggest, but I would like to suggest the following:

--The number of fanfic-ified episodes we do should depend on how many plots we'd like to cover. Given that there are 62 episodes, maybe the number could be bumped up to 80, 90 or even surpass 100 in total. Meaning, if we're going for a grand total of 90, we need to write 28 episodes. Aaaaah!

--If this will be a joint effort, we could even put these on ff.net under one single account which would link to all our accounts. That way, each chapter would be presented in chronological order, and perhaps that way it would be easier to set up plot arcs than would span several chapters.

--The fics should stick to canon as much as possible. Meaning, original characters should be sparse and be used as a means to further the plot.

--Some of us could check the fics once they're complete and serve as betas/editors for errors/consistency. I offer my services in this department since I like editing~

...Aaaaaand concerning what Alexa said, I'm the one planning a little something with the Shape Stealer and XL on Star Command. I was thinking it would either be a oneshot or a sub-plot to a bigger fic, but it's still an idea and not anything definite yet.

Other things I'd be interested in writing would be Romac, Evilyear and Buzz seeing Myka again... I'd also be interested in us making a proper GALAXY MAP we could all stick to. Oh! And if this will be made up of single/joint efforts, we should all stick to the same theories/backstories for consistency!

I think that's all the ideas I have for now. Sorry if I rambled!
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm

As I told you in the chatbox, Olivus, I think this is a great idea, and I hope we can pull it off. I’d be glad to help in any way I can. I’d love to do writing and, like Steel, I enjoy editing, so perhaps Steel and I could work together on that? I’m good at spotting continuity errors, and with a joint effort like this we’d need to watch our continuity and keep everything consistent.

As Steel said, we should stick to the same theories and backstories. It would also be nice if we could keep these as consistent as possible with the other fics we write (as Alexa mentioned, she and Fox are working on a collab dealing with the Protector, and I’m working on a story about Mira’s life prior to becoming a Ranger, and Fox is writing a story about Buzz, Ty, Warp, and Rocket’s days at the Academy). Also, since some people have devoted a lot of time to developing backstories for certain characters, we could have “go-to” people for when we need backstories about certain events/characters. Fox could provide info on the Protector, and on Buzz’s Academy days, I could give info on Mira, perhaps Steel could be in charge of Zurg’s backstory, Doc could provide info on Ty, etc. Obviously, everything would still have to be approved by the rest of us, to make sure we’re all in agreement, but I think this might be the best way to handle backstories, since it’ll be easier to keep things consistent if we only have one person working on each character’s backstory.

Another good point Steel made is on the use of original characters. In ordinary fanfics I have no problem with OCs (as long as they’re well-written), but since this is going to be a continuation of the series, OCs should only play a minor role, and to avoid conflicting backstories, no already existing OCs (like Alexa’s character Alfred, who I’m using as an example because I like him) should be used. All OCs should be created specifically for this project, though I suppose we could make exceptions in some cases if necessary.

Once we’ve decided on the number of episodes, we can start allotting episode quotas to the writers. Some people have less free time than others, and some may simply not want to write as many episodes, so rather than handing out an equal quote to everyone, the episodes should be divided up based on how many each person is willing to write.

The length of the each episode is a tricky thing to figure out. I’m leaning towards about 10, 000 words for each one, but that might be too much for some people. What do you guys think?

Anyway, that’s my two cents for now. I hope we can get this project off the ground!
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:30 am

Not sure if this the thread to do it, but after chatting with Steel about it, I'd like to volunteer for wrapping up the loose end that is Evilyear. I also wouldn't mind collaborating if someone else wants to work on him as well, or even working in others' ideas in general.
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Olivus Prime Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:21 am

Sorry, meant to post this a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to since.

25 pages/4000 words or more sounds good, and it sounds like enough for a good story, if your transcripts are anything to go by!

As for the number of episodes, I looked on Wikipedia at a few other popular Disney shows - Darkwing Duck finished at 91 episodes, Ducktales at 100, and Kim Possible at 87, so 90 seems like a good number (giving us 25 episodes to work with, unless we do a multi-part finale(?)). We can always push it further later, since many of the existing episodes don't fit into a particular chronology.

Steel wrote:--If this will be a joint effort, we could even put these on ff.net under one single account which would link to all our accounts.

--The fics should stick to canon as much as possible.

--Some of us could check the fics once they're complete and serve as betas/editors for errors/consistency.

Good ideas, both you and Ranger could be head editors, and I'm sure we'll all be looking through each other's stories, so there'll be grammatical and canonical checks aplenty.
As for original characters, it may be best if we discuss them first, rather than attempting to avoid them as much as possible. On the one hand, this additional "season" will be good for closing the plots that the rest of the series started, but on the other, it would be good for some additional, perhaps more light-hearted, stories to accompany them. I myself wanted to have an episode or two of mine focus on Toy Story's Anti-Buzz (who I've given characterisation to here), but again, we will need to discuss the abundance/nature of original characters elsewhere.

Ranger-Nova wrote:since it’ll be easier to keep things consistent if we only have one person working on each character’s backstory.

Again, another good idea, I think we should each be assigned characters to work with (depending upon who's working with what backstory) so that things don't get confusing/incorrect. We should probably open new discussions for episode suggestions, backstory ideas, and a list of who's doing what, and how much time we all have.

My main wants would be to look into Myka's possibly controversial reappearance, perhaps a finale for the Chlorms and/or, if you guys are okay with it, a complex episode or two featuring the character above. Again, it might be best to start a new discussion where we each choose which stories we want to pursue, and then we can distribute them evenly.
Olivus Prime
Olivus Prime

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Olivus Prime wrote:As for original characters, it may be best if we discuss them first, rather than attempting to avoid them as much as possible. On the one hand, this additional "season" will be good for closing the plots that the rest of the series started, but on the other, it would be good for some additional, perhaps more light-hearted, stories to accompany them. I myself wanted to have an episode or two of mine focus on Toy Story's Anti-Buzz (who I've given characterisation to here), but again, we will need to discuss the abundance/nature of original characters elsewhere.

I probably should have been more specific in what I said about OCs. The show itself often had new characters in each episode, sometimes even playing large roles in their episodes, and I think using OCs like this is fine as long as the canon characters are still our primary focus. The kind of OC I think we should avoid are those who become part of the main cast and appear in multiple episodes, since that would require developing a whole new character, which would mean we have less time to focus on the canon characters.

Someone like Anti-Buzz (who technically isn't even an OC) would be fine, I think. Smile

As you said, there should probably be some discussion about this issue among all the contributors, just to make sure we're all in agreement on whatever we decide.

Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:21 pm

I probably should have been more specific too. I didn't mean we should forget about adding any OCs at all. Actually, Ranger aptly put what I was failing to say:
Ranger-Nova wrote:...as long as the canon characters are still our primary focus.
Essentially, if we have characters that come in for a couple of episodes, like the way it was done in the actual series, it'll make the story more diverse, but what we must be careful of is OCs overshadowing the canon characters. For example, an OC joining Team Lightyear or an OC becoming Zurg's new henchman. Those were the kind of OCs I meant we ought to avoid, just as Ranger pointed out, as well.

But yes, we can discuss 'em first, 'cause I'd like to see characters like Fop, Petra, Myka and Bonnie again. And we'll also discuss plot arcs too. I'm all for some light-hearted episodes myself!

If we're to make new discussions for these, do we know who will take part in this project for sure? And would you like me to make a new section on the forum for us to discuss these possibilities further? Also, is the Protector story Alexa and Fox are developing going to be included, or would they prefer it to be their own project? Just confirmed with Alexa and Fox that it's a separate project!

Maybe we should all discuss a time/date we're all available to discuss this in the chatbox. My timezone is UTC/GMT +2 hours. (I think that's how it's written.)
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:42 pm

This sounds like fun. I'd like to volunteer to flesh out Savy SL2, because of all the infrequent side characters, I think she was my favorite. She was brave, smart, tenacious, and a genuinely good kid despite her callousness and cynicism from growing up on Tradeworld. You could tell when she grew up she'd be the kickass female protagonist in her own story.
(Also in my head-canon, her surname before she was adopted was Van Helsing.)
Rook
Rook

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

http://www.inklingworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down