To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfiction Reviews

4 posters

Go down

Fanfiction Reviews Empty Fanfiction Reviews

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 pm

This topic is a place to post reviews of BLoSC fanfics, and a place where people looking for good fanfiction can go to find out what's available. I'll be posting reviews every now and then for various stories (mostly just the multi-chaptered ones, but a few oneshots will be included), and if other people are interested, they can come here and post reviews as well.

Just a few suggestions for reviews:

Stick to reviewing stories you like. Trouble could result if you write purely negative reviews. And remember, NO FLAMES!
Criticism is fine, since it'll give potential readers a better idea of the story's strengths and weaknesses, but keep it polite and don't be too nitpicky (like going on about how the author made a typo or added an OC).
Give a brief, non-spoilery description of the plot so potential readers can tell if it's something they'd be interested in.
If your review has major spoilers, add a spoiler warning at the beginning.
Make sure you point out the highlights as well as the flaws. We need a reason to read this fic.
If the review is long, you should put it in spoilers.
At the top of your review, add a link to the story so people can easily find it. You can also add a link to the author's profile if they're on deviantART or FF.net.
Treat the story with the same respect you'd like your own work to be treated with. That doesn't mean you can't give criticism where it's due, but please do so in a respectful way.

Points that should be discussed in reviews:

Plot - was it good, was it bad, what were it's strengths and shortcomings, etc.
Characters - were they in character, did you like the way they were developed, did each of them get enough focus, were there any pairings, were there any OCs and were they good, etc.
Writing - is the grammar good, are there a lot of typos, does the author have an interesting style, is the writing quality good, etc.
Criticism - what are the main things you think the author did wrong, how do you think the story could be improved, was there something you strongly disagreed with, etc.
Praise - what are the main things you loved, why should someone read the story, what do you want to see more of, etc.
Warnings - if the story has content that some may find objectionable, or that is not suitable for all ages, please make it clear here so people can be sure they're reading a fic they'll be comfortable with.

Obviously, these are just suggestions and you can write the review any way you want, but please keep all this in mind.

And now a word to the authors being reviewed: I can't speak for anyone else who may choose to write reviews, but I personally won't be reviewing any story I don't like, so if your story is here, it means I thought it was good. I may be critical of certain elements, but I really DO like your work, and I'd be happy to help you fix any problematic parts. Please don't take offense if I criticise something, and do tell me if you think I'm being overly harsh, or if I misunderstood something. Also, if you don't see a review of your story here, it doesn't necessarily mean I didn't like it - I may simply have not gotten around to reviewing it yet (or, if it's a oneshot, I may have thought it too short to offer a proper review). You are welcome to request a review of your story, and I'll get it done as soon as I can.

Current reviews:

"For Good I: Breakaway"
"We Can Never Return to the Way We Were"

The above reviews will hopefully give you an idea of how reviews should go (though you're welcome to write them in your own style). Authors are welcome to give defenses of their work if they think their story was unfairly criticised, and I'm always happy to listen. Just remember, this is a place to have FUN - a place where authors can read reviews of their work and potential readers can find out more about them. NO FLAMING IS ALLOWED. I know you guys are all great, and I doubt we'll have any trouble, but I just want to be sure. I'm still a little nervous about this, because I'd hate to have started any problems by posting this thread. I want to be clear that this is all in the spirit of fun, and even when work is criticised it's simply to help the author improve and help potential readers decide whether or not they want to read the story. No ill-will is intended. To set an example, I'm willing to have my stories reviewed by anyone who wants to, and I'll happily accept criticism.

Okay, I think I'm done now. Just being extra careful so that nothing goes wrong here. Smile

Have fun, guys!

Last edited by Ranger-Nova on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction Reviews Empty Re: Fanfiction Reviews

Post by Cartoonhottie2009 Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:49 pm

I'd be pleased as punch if someone reviewed my story. Good OR bad criticism!
Cartoonhottie2009
Cartoonhottie2009

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm

I'll get to it, then! I love both your stories, so I'm sure most of my comments will be good. Smile
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:46 am

This is a great idea, Ranger! I'm liking this idea a lot. ^^

Actually, I do have a question; if we were to post samples of our writings up, like excerpts to give us an idea of what the stories will be like, will those also be reviewed?
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:51 am

Do you mean excerpts from unpublished stories/chapters? If so then yeah, sure!

I'm moving my review here so that each review can be linked to the main post at the topic:

For my first review, I have "For Good I: Breakaway" by Aleine Skyfire (aka Strictly Sherlock). There are a few minor spoilers below, but nothing that will ruin the story for you.

Spoiler:
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 pm

my story does have some things i need to fix, but now that i cant please ignor them, i may get a chance to fix everything eventually.
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:18 pm

That's okay, I understand. If you want a review, I'll be happy to give you one right after I do Cartoonhottie's. Luckily I have your stories saved on my computer.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:23 pm

thanks a million ^^ that would be great
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoonhottie2009 Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Ooo, I can't wait! This is going to be awesome!
Cartoonhottie2009
Cartoonhottie2009

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 pm

I wrote your review a few days ago, but I still need to polish it. Expect to see it up here soon! I hope you like it. Smile
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoonhottie2009 Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 pm

If you're writing it I know i will!
Cartoonhottie2009
Cartoonhottie2009

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 am

Here's your review, honey. I hope I did a good job - I would have liked to make it longer, but I didn't want to add too many spoilers. Smile

"We Can Never Return to the Way We Were" by Cartoonhottie200

Minor spoilers below:

Spoiler:

Eh... I still think it's too short... I should have made it longer.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoonhottie2009 Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Sorry, can't reply, died from the amazingness of this.
Cartoonhottie2009
Cartoonhottie2009

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:24 am

I'm glad you liked it. Like I said, I feel bad about how short it it.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoonhottie2009 Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 pm

I laughed when you said spoilers. Like my silly little story is something big and important. Laughing
Cartoonhottie2009
Cartoonhottie2009

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 pm

could you do a quick review of the fanfic I just posted, Morals Die Slowly?
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down