To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

+10
Ranger-Nova
EEZ
Steel
Rook
Bleu_Ace
Pythonmelon
TyFan10o3
Mod
Alexa
Senior Doctor Thalassi
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? Empty How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Not sure if there already is a topic like this (didn't find anything by searching), but if there is, feel free to take this one down and slap me.

So, how did you all first learn about the BLoSC cartoon? And when did you officially declare yourself a fan?

For me, my first memory was about ten or so years ago, on a trip to Disneyland. We were staying in the hotel across the street from the park and were getting geared for the day, with the TV on for background noise. I was pretty excited, getting ready and everything, when I just so happened to glance at the TV. There I saw a man turning into a metal werewolf and ripping apart another robot, and I was just like: command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? 973 (I was a pretty big fan of werewolves, even back then)

But then it cut to commercial and Dad turned the TV off so we would hurry up and get ready.

...Now that I think about it, that may actually be why Ty Parsec is my favorite character. Hmm.

Anyways, flash-forward about five years. Brother ends up finding The Adventure Begins in the base video rental store and rents it. He watches it a couple of times, I watch while trying to act like I was only half-interested for some reason...I never make the connection between the movie and the show I saw in that hotel room.

Another flash-forward to a couple months ago. I'm goofing off on Youtube, watching videos of werewolf transformations, when I stumble upon a video of the exact same transformation sequence (which had since been taken down, unfortunately Sad ) that I saw all those years ago.

Cue the command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? 973

Thanks to the comments, I learned that the scene was from the show Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, finally make the connection with the movie, and went to Wikipedia, Deviantart, TV Tropes, and finally Youtube to learn more (yes, in that order).

After watching "Wirewolf" in full for the first time ever, I declared myself a fan of the cartoon. Now, thanks to the RadioFreePlanetZ channel on Youtube and the handy schedule on this forum, I am slowly but surely going through the rest of the episodes. I'm about half-way there, I think.

But enough rambling from me. What about you guys?
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? Empty Re: How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

Post by Alexa Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Oh gosh... Let's see. I watched the show when I was younger... Pre-middle school, I suppose? But then, cut to either post middle school, where I was on deviantart and I suddenly saw art for one of the many robots I loved in my childhood (XR). I was starting to become a little more internet savvy at that time and I managed to find the XR boards through this.

Uh... I was already a fan, but I suppose I turned into a bigger fan then. I started to like NOS-4-A2 as well.

After a while, interest died down, but I never actually stopped liking the show, so when Steel invited me to join this forum I as ready to get into gear as a full-bloom fan once more.

Have at it!
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? Empty Re: How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

Post by Mod Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Heh....wow...that's quite a history ya got there, Doc, Alexa! ^^ I'm glad to hear your histories about how you became fans of the show.

As for me, well...it all started back in 2000, when TAB came out. My folks got it for me and my brother to watch on VHS when I was a little squirt, around middle school, in the 4th grade. They got it for us, but we were allowed to watch it only when we left for a family trip. I was quite impatient back then, so I made my brother watch it with me before we left for the trip, and we were almost halfway through when...well, let's just say they found out. But we managed to watch the rest of the movie. XD

Soon after that, on Saturday mornings, I would try to catch the show however I could. I don't remember watching a lot of episodes, but the ones that stood out to mind were "War and Peace and War", "Mira's Wedding", "Lone Wolf" "Devolutionaries", "Sunquake" and "Inside Job" because those episodes, for some reason, stood out in my mind. I also collected the comics that came out in Disney Adventures when it was still being published...don't have any of the toys, though...(note to self; find toys).

Many years pass by, and BLoSC has been long washed from my memory banks. It wasn't until last year that TAB was on ABC Family....and I fell in love with it all over again. Heck, it even helped me to move on from another fandom I was with at the time. It wasn't a bad fandom, but I just wanted to move on from it. And BLoSC helped me to move on from it, which I am more than grateful for. ^^

I started watching the episodes online. In fact, that's how Ty became my fave character as well; I watched "Wirewolf" for the first time on there, and I was only mildly interested at first, but the more fanart, fanfics and vids I saw of this guy, the more I came to like him.

And that's how I became a fan of BLoSC. ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by TyFan10o3 Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 pm

I remember the first time was when the The Adventure Begins, which about the same age as you Hyppos, first came on TV and I was sitting on the living room floor and watched it from beginning to end and loved it ever since. Then throughout the years when it was still on I would try to catch it whenever I could and now I just go to YouTube and look for the ones I want to watch, which is pretty much all the ones that have NOS in them but I do watch other favorites of mine when I want a change.
TyFan10o3
TyFan10o3

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 am

For as long as I can remember we've had a copy of 'the adventure begins' and finally pulled it out again about two years ago. There was a villains trivia game and, by chance, I got curious to learn more about (you guessed it, Nos and Wirewolf, to a lesser extent.) Looked the episode Nos-4-a2 up on youtube and only got about half way through it. DA-DA-DUH so the epic begins.

Found a box set and got it for christmas last year, wrote a fanfiction, found the fanboard and DA and this. ^^ so here I am.
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleu_Ace Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 am

As a kid, I would ALWAYS try and catch the show on TV when I could. I don't remember when it specifically did come on, but do I need to explain more?

I adored watching it.
Bleu_Ace
Bleu_Ace

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:04 pm

I remember my dad rented The Adventure Begins around when it came out for my little brother, but I ended up watching it too, and I enjoyed it. I also remember watching some of the episodes when they were on. Looking back I remember The Slayer the most prominently, because Savy Van Helsing SL2 was awesome and NOS-4-A2 was one of my favorite bad guys. I think I also anticipated any episodes with Warp because it was fun watching his personality bounce off of Buzz's and the rest of the good guys. I hadn't seen Wirewolf then, otherwise I'm sure Ty would have become my favorite snarky foil.

In fact, I think it was NOS-4-A2 that brought me back years later, just thinking about vampires. I was like "that cartoon was pretty good, what happened to it?" So I revisited The Adventure Begins on youtube out of nostalgia and found myself watching all the other episodes, including ones I missed like Wirewolf. That's when I started pursuing fandom, and here I am.
Rook
Rook

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

http://www.inklingworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:59 pm

A topic like this is a great idea. Smile

Let's see... I liked Toy Story as a kid and had it on VHS. My family and I moved from Canada to Greece back in 1999/2000, so I never got to see BLoSC on TV when it first aired. In fact, I think I first learned of the show in... 2006, maybe. By then, I'd seen Toy Story 2, as well, and one morning I'd woken up really early and decided to switch the TV on to see what was playing.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a cartoon version of Buzz Lightyear! To be honest, I preferred Woody over Buzz in Toy Story, but I was still super-excited to see that there was a Buzz Lightyear cartoon. Unfortunately, I think something happened to the channel at the time and I didn't get to see the entire episode. All I vaguely remember was them being in 42. It might have been the episode "Lost in Time", it might not have been. I just remember seeing Mira, Booster and XR and wondering who they were and wanting to find out more. So I decided to wake up early the next day to catch it, but it aired Jackie Chan Adventures instead. I remember being disappointed, but hey, Jackie Chan's cool too!

I don't remember what happened after that. I think they switched channels for it, because when I first saw it it was on MEGA, but when I caught it again back in 2007-2008 it was on NET. Anyway...

Like I said, I don't remember what really happened after the first time I saw it and between catching the show's second rerun. I vaguely remember being on vacation with my family and catching the training part with Mira in "The Adventure Begins" and being excited about it being the first episode. Maybe that's when I decided to actually find out when it was airing and catch more episodes.

I recorded a lot on VHS, finding Zurg to be one of my favourite characters. But what sealed the deal for me was finding "The Adventure Begins" at a DVD club one day. My sister and I rented it, obviously wanted to watch it in English and... it's history, as they say. Zurg's entrance scene with his English VA just SOLD him to me and I was like: "Yep, definitely have to find the series in English now."

Which led me to looking for forums, which led me to the XRboards, which led me to meeting EEZ, my bestest bestest best buddy, and... THAT'S history, boys and gals. It's been 3-4 years since then and I've loved every minute of it. Smile
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EEZ Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

>Came home from school back in 2000/2001
>Turned on Grandma's telly
>Saw a dual-toned, dress-wearing villain who was so flamboyant it made stereotypes cry
>Never missed an episode since

Oh, and then I met Steel, who wants to slather me in hummus and olive oil. No me gusta.
EEZ
EEZ

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:06 pm

WHAT. I don't like hummus, what the hell're you on about!? The olive oil, though... now that's an interesting mental image. Watch as I slather you in olive oil and you glisten like Randy Orton!

Senior Doctor Hyppos wrote:Now, thanks to the RadioFreePlanetZ channel on Youtube and the handy schedule on this forum, I am slowly but surely going through the rest of the episodes. I'm about half-way there, I think.
Thank you, and you're welcome! I'll have the other parts of "The Adventure Begins" up soon~ I sure hope you enjoy the series! :3
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by EEZ Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Steel wrote:Watch as I slather you in olive oil and you glisten like Randy Orton!

command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? Tumblr_ledxteVApS1qfu4tho1_400
EEZ
EEZ

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm

command - How Did You Fall in Love With Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? Scaled.php?server=11&filename=randy20orton20pioggia2c
^ You being drenched in olive oil.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC. Seeing as a lot of you folks seem to have been exposed to BLosC when it first aired, do any of you remember how the general reception of it was? I have the feeling that some people consider BLoSC a joke nowadays, or a cheap rip-off of Toy Story. You probably don't remember as kids, but did people even like the show, or what?
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Hmm....well, my family and I liked it, but I don't remember what the general reception of it was back then. I'm going to assume some people liked it; others did not. (shrugs)

Last edited by Fox Storm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:19 pm

How I first got to know it: My brother, a huge Toy Story fan, heard there was going to be a Buzz series, and was very excited when it came out here in South Africa. I watched it with him, and I fell in love with it. My interest has waxed and waned over the years, but I've always thought it was a really great show, and a recent resurgence of interest caused me to look it up and find this place.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexa Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Steel wrote:
You probably don't remember as kids, but did people even like the show, or what?

(razzle-frazzle-havetotypethisentirethingagain)

Well, when I was younger, I remembered talking to people about cartoons I liked... Around 2006-2007, I think? Usually when I mentioned BLoSC, they either asked me "oh, that's the one with the robot, right?" in reference to XR or they said "that show's a rip-off of Toy Story". If the latter, they refused to listen to reason that it wasn't like the other cartoon series that take place in the same universe as the movies they're based on (e.g. Little Mermaid, Hercules, Aladdin) and that it was completely it's own story. Which, honestly, is the reason I loved BLoSC so much compared to the aforementioned "rip-off" cartoons, all of which I absolutely hated and refused to watch whenever possible.
Alexa
Alexa

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I do recall watching it some when I was little, around four or five. The only episode I really remember is Gravatina, though. I've always loved 'The adventure begins' really.

Trust me, I get teased like mad for liking this -.- but its worth it
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by EEZ Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Not a lot of kids on my block back in the day, but I remember folks didn't like the show because they thought it was a "rip-off of TS". Most didn't give the show much thought, saying very little in the path of positive review.

Which was strange, because I remember the commercials for it, the magazines, and even the McDonald meal toys they gave out.
EEZ
EEZ

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I think it's because people just didn't really give it a chance, considering that it's the show Buzz is supposed to be from, and all the merchandise and commercials, I think, shows that it was a pretty decent success back in the day. ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I still don't get why people make fun of the show - it's certainly way better and way more intelligent than a lot of Disney's stuff these days. Give me BLoSC over Hannah Montana any day!
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:55 pm

I don't remember anyone talking about it back then, but then again at my school anyone who talked about cartoons was branded a nerd and ostracized. Sad and outrageous considering it was 4th-5th grade, yes, but what can you do.
Although I feel I appreciate the series more now than I did back then; and my sister says she vaguely remembered it and didn't think it was too bad before I made her rewatch some episodes with me.

I agree here with most people: the series fell through the cracks because people did initially write it off as a spin-off of Toy Story. It's really sad that it did get judged this way because standing on its own it's a awesome cartoon. Although back then the Internet was still getting started with connecting fans, so maybe all of us who were fans back then were simply spread too far apart to find each other just yet.
Oddly enough I also wonder if the resurge of the fandom recently has something to do with Toy Story 3 coming out. Since its the last one, people probably went back to revisit the other two and potentially stumbled across the cartoon series.
Anyone from outside the nostalgic crowd? Don't be shy. We won't act like hipsters. (Or at least I won't <^__^>)
Rook
Rook

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

http://www.inklingworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Hmm...I think that's true, Rook. Maybe the rest why the fandom recently had a resurge was because of TS3, and other TS shorts that came out after it. I mean, TS3 came out ten years after TS2 did, and that's a LONG time for people who grew up with the TS movies back then. People are probably nostalgic and just wanting to go back to some shows they grew up watching. ^^

Last edited by Fox Storm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 pm

That's quite possible - though the reason I grew interested in the series again was not so much TS3, but because my brother happened to be rewatching some of the episodes, and I thought 'I should look for some good BLoSC fanfiction' because several years ago I'd come across some good ones, so I wanted to see if there was more. In the process, I found the XR boards, and then this place.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by XRUAFan Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:11 pm

My memory sucks so I may have got this wrong but anyway I remember being a massive fan of Hurcules as a kid. (The disney series I mean) Well one morning either instead of or before/after Hurcules came a new show - BLoSC. Of course I laughed my butt off at it. That was my first time I fell in love.

Skip forwared a few years. I found the feature film and added it to my youtube faves. I only had buttslow internet at this stage (or I didn't even have the internetand was using my aunt's - I can't remember) so I only got through that one episode. That was the second time.

Just last year I was going through all my faves and decided to watch it again. Again, I fell in love, even showing my cousins.

Then I met her! XD But seriously, while looking at pictures I came across pythonmelon and she caused me to love the show again.

Then she linked me to the episode - "XL" As soon as I saw the scene with krummy (or whatever his name is. Krumford?) I suddenly got flashbacks of actually REMEMBRING the show (I knew I'd seen it but I didn't remember anything) That's when I fell in obsession, and haven't looked back since!
XRUAFan
XRUAFan

CADET

CADET

Back to top Go down

Post by DarklingDragon Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I remember starting off either renting or watching TS2 on broadcast and liking it so much, that I often wondered if Pixar/Disney was going to make anything new TS related. I was kind of new to ToyStory since at that time I had never watched the movies and only heard a bit about it from friends.

One day I was flipping through tv channels and was surprised when I saw Buzz Lightyear blowing up a horde of robots. I was ecstatic I can tell you that. Not only was it TS, it was a sci-fi comedy show rolled up into one.

About the show's popularity, when I started watching it I asked my friends about it and they had never heard of it. Even the ones that watched the TS movies.
DarklingDragon
DarklingDragon

ROOKIE

ROOKIE

Back to top Go down

Post by levy120 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 am

That is a funny story actually. For as long as I have been a BLoSC fan I have never seen the show on TV; except for the pilot. I once zapped over the pilot, but because I missed parts of it, saw only a sequence and didn’t know the reference to the source material I was pretty disinterested and zapped on; for you must know – actually I am not a SCI-FI fan.

During 2006 or so, I began to grow a fan of Lilo and Stitch and was browsing around on Youtube for some songs that I liked to listen during that time. This caused me to eventually stumble over some Lilo and Stitch Videos from the person that a lot of oldies still ought to remember in this fandom: Kila

I watched some of the AMVs on her channel and eventually there was another show next to the L&S stuff – and that happened to be BLoSC. And those BLoSC videos seemed to partially have some interesting songs. I especially liked the videos that would feature XR and Nos-4-A2 because “holy crap is that a robot-vampire? That’s original” and that’s pretty much what got me hooked without ever having seen an episode at this point.

I eventually snuck on her board and registered when she offered Episodes for Download. The first episode I ever got to see was “Little Secrets” and after I had gathered a few episodes myself, I began to work on some AMVs as well; always eager to find some new material with new clips to use.

At a later point, the pilot aired again on TV and I was eager to see it this time and to experience the German dub. After this a friend of mine from another board recorded some Pay TV Disney Channel episodes for me when they aired. Namely “Revenge of the Monsters”, “Wirewolf”, “Supernova” and “Ancient Evil” who back then were considered super rare and/or (possibly) banned.
The first 3 of them I subbed all on my own – the other one I started, but that’s when an English Dub of all of these became available and I thankfully was spared of that %D

And that’s pretty much it, anything else would just focus on my experience with the fandom and not with the show anymore xD
levy120
levy120

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next