To Infinity and Fandom v.2.1 || A Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Wanted: Sub-Plot Ideas

5 posters

Go down

Help Wanted: Sub-Plot Ideas Empty Help Wanted: Sub-Plot Ideas

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

So, before I get on my knees and beg for your spare ideas, a little summary/explanation is in order, I believe.

This story was inspired a picture called BLoSC Reboot by lallyzippo on Deviantart. The basic premise is similar to the one in the artist's description; after NOS-4-A2 is killed and Ty is determined fit for active duty, he is assigned to lead a newly formed recon team that also field-tests experimental technology.

The more I thought about it, however, the larger it got. So many different story ideas could be used with this concept that I eventually decided to structure it much like a TV show, with each "episode" consisting of a short story based on one of those ideas; in essence, a true reboot/spin-off.

By now, I have the protagonists, the major antagonist, and the main arc of the first "season," as well as the story lines of the episodes relating to the main arc. I thought that since this main arc would be focusing on Ty more than the others, it would be interesting to have some "filler episodes" which focus on the character development of the other protagonists.

And here is where I need your guys' help. Compared to the main arc, I have almost no idea what to do for these fillers; I have ideas for three, maybe four stories, and that's it.

I realize that you need more info than this, so I'll post what I have down for the characters along with what I'm planning for their sub-plots:

Ty has managed to recover from the wirewolf incidents enough to be deployed to the field again, though he still has the occasional nightmare and flashback. He was very reluctant to accept Gig due to his physical similarity to the wirewolf, and he thinks Fop is not only an egotistical jerk who’s going to get himself killed, but also (at least on a subconscious level) a threat to his job security, much like Buzz was. He’s developed a habit of putting off medical appointments until the last second in a slightly macho attempt to prove to others and himself that he is not weak. As I have said, the main arc of the story will be focusing on Ty, so I'd prefer the fillers to be about the other members of his team. However, I will consider ideas that explore the relationship he has with his team.

Fop Doppler was assigned to Team Parsec due to his achievements in the Academy and his Tangean abilities. He is very confident in himself (too confident, in Ty’s opinion), and is the one who comes up with the name “Wolf Squadron” (much to Ty’s deep unamusement). His ego insists that he should be the one in charge of the team, which leads to a lot of conflict with Ty. His subplot will consist of learning humility and to see past the racial views instilled in him by Tangean society.

Petra Hammerhold was struggling with some of her major classes when she was assigned to Team Parsec for “immersive studies.” Though she is smart and good at tracking and trap-making, she is not very strong, nor is she a proficient fighter, which she is self-conscious about (Fop constantly showing her up doesn’t help). She maintains her rebellious attitude to cover up her insecurities, which hasn’t helped at all when it comes to her father, and is starting to strain her relationship with Plasma Boy. Her subplot will consist of mending said relationships and learning to focus on her strengths instead of her weaknesses.

I will not be using XS in the story mainly because I can barely find anything on her, and I am reluctant to write characters whose personalities I don't have even a basic grasp on. Instead, I will be using a character I created specifically for this story, TH-001. TH-001 or Gigabyte is a new robot designed by the LGMs (TH stands for Track Hound) whose main directive is to gather and compile data for Team Parsec. Gig has a canine body based loosely on the data about the wirewolf that the LGMs were able to extract from Team Lightyear’s data logs and their own security cameras, though the LGMs are quick to assure that the data was used for the body only, not any programming. His sensors include yellow optics which can see in the infrared to gamma ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum, highly sensitive olfactory sensors (maybe, not sure about this one yet), and audio sensors that can pick up not only frequencies of ten to 50,000 Hz, but nearby unencrypted broadcasts as well. His tail serves as a power cord for recharge and as a cable with which to hack databases or download information. A tracking beacon launcher in his throat completes the data gathering package. For self-defense, he has terillium carbonic alloy claws and a bite force of 15,000 pounds per square inch. While playing a major part in Ty’s subplot, Gig will also have his own subplot revolving around his growing sense of self-awareness and identity.

Savy SL-2 is in her final year as a Junior Space Ranger, but is more likely to be found sneaking her way into Team Parsec’s missions than selling cookies. She developed a crush on Ty after learning he was the one who killed NOS for good, and at first had a major dislike for Petra, believing her to be “competition.” After learning about Plasma Boy, however, she warms up to Petra and starts seeing her as a surrogate sister. She adores Gig and loves spoiling him with high grade oil. However, she isn’t very fond of Fop because of his attitude towards Ty. Her subplot will be a continuation of what is seen in The Slayer (staying calm and collected instead of rushing into everything; learning to accept help rather than trying to do everything herself) as well as learning about love and growing up (?).

A couple more things before I bring out the idea cup:
--As I've said, I'm more interested in fillers that focus on members of the team other than Ty, since he is going to be the primary protagonist of the main arc.
--Easy with the romance, please. I'm not a exactly a big fan of romance, so I don't really anticipate the idea of writing it. For Petra and possibly Savy, sure! It's part of their planned character development, after all. For the others...eh...not so much....
--As for potential antagonists, don't limit yourself to the canon ones already on the show. Try to come up with some new ones, and let us see if we can't give Team Parsec their own rogues' gallery. Wink

Phew...now that that's done... *gets down on knees and holds out tin cup* Ideas? Ideas for the starving author?
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Help Wanted: Sub-Plot Ideas Empty Re: Help Wanted: Sub-Plot Ideas

Post by Pythonmelon Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Very cool! I love the ideas and, after Reading Gig's story, might have something to offer-

What about a plot where the LGMs decide that, because he seems to work so well, they should beuild one for every team? They would have to deal with the robots becoming self aware, how they deal with the other rangers, and possibly a bit of jealousy from Gig.

Spinning off of that, why not build a main antagonist from that? Possibly a TF-002 that goes rogue and manages to make his/herself a 'leader' of the new bots like a pack and reccurs after some sort of defeat? I think it would be interesting, especially for Ty because the robots remind him of the wirewolf, and this one would be like a super-intelligent wirewolf.
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Hmm...well, what about an idea of seeing things from Ty's POV about meeting his team for the first time? You know, from his eyes?
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Pythonmelon wrote:Very cool! I love the ideas and, after Reading Gig's story, might have something to offer-

What about a plot where the LGMs decide that, because he seems to work so well, they should beuild one for every team? They would have to deal with the robots becoming self aware, how they deal with the other rangers, and possibly a bit of jealousy from Gig.

Spinning off of that, why not build a main antagonist from that? Possibly a TF-002 that goes rogue and manages to make his/herself a 'leader' of the new bots like a pack and reccurs after some sort of defeat? I think it would be interesting, especially for Ty because the robots remind him of the wirewolf, and this one would be like a super-intelligent wirewolf.

I can see that...and maybe, instead of being recon-oriented like Gig (due to his being built for a recon team), they would be built for combat. Oh, that wouldn't be good for neither Gig nor Ty at all. Shocked

Fox Storm wrote:Hmm...well, what about an idea of seeing things from Ty's POV about meeting his team for the first time? You know, from his eyes?

I'm actually planning on the pilot episode being about Team Parsec being officially assembled and going on their first mission, so I already have that covered. Though I do wonder if you would have any ideas as to what the pilot could be called; the best I can come up with is "Go For Launch." Neutral
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Hmm...well...it could be called..."First Field Test". I mean, you said that Ty and his team would field test experimental technology, right? And it will be the first time they meet? So...yeah.
Mod

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:26 pm

There could also possibly be an episode where Ty is sick for the day and Fop tries to take over the team. I can also see Petra trying to bring Plasma boy on a few missions
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Doctor Thalassi Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Pythonmelon wrote:There could also possibly be an episode where Ty is sick for the day and Fop tries to take over the team.

That's an awesome idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Pythonmelon wrote:I can also see Petra trying to bring Plasma boy on a few missions

That would make for some interesting shenanigans. Oh, I could just Ty being driven so far up the wall with Plasma Boy's antics.... XD
Senior Doctor Thalassi
Senior Doctor Thalassi

CORPORAL

CORPORAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Pythonmelon Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 pm

lol that would be fantastic ^^ yeah, i can see that I'm going to enjoy this series
Pythonmelon
Pythonmelon

COLONEL

COLONEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger-Nova Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Oh, this sounds interesting! I hope things go well for you. And I love that you have Fop on the team - he was always my favourite part of "Mira's Wedding".

As for ideas... I can't think of anything at the moment, but it's one in the morning. I'll probably have something in a few hours, after I've gotten some sleep.
Ranger-Nova
Ranger-Nova

SENATOR

SENATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 am

Oooh, I really like the idea of you focusing on lesser characters. It's probably a good thing you didn't use XS because it's someone else's fan character and that might bring up complications. Gig, on the other hand, works like a charm! What with the wirewolf stuff~

As for ideas, how about this: since Savy likes sneaking on to Ty's team and whatnot, perhaps somewhere in the middle of your story, she actually gets into really big trouble on some mission or other. And it'd be cool if Ty saved her, but maybe... Fop does instead! Which can mend things between them in the end, too! Smile

Or you could just go with Ty. Who knows! How old would Savy be?
Steel
Steel

EVIL EMPEROR

EVIL EMPEROR

http://soarervisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down